Thursday 9 January 2020

From MikeW - At Benito's Brook - 12 x 18mm Crimean War British Hussars (126 Points)


This entry is my step into the realms of Benito's Brook, and it was quite some challenge to figure out what from my lead mountain would qualify for this post!

Post Marked 2006!
Eventually I opted for a box of 18mm Eureka Miniatures I'd rather rashly ordered back in 2006, whilst away from home on a business trip, during which time, I was finishing reading the rather good 'Hell Riders' by Terry Brighton.

A few lessons learned by this experience, don't order figures on a whim after reading an inspiring book - by the time these little chaps had landed on my doormat from Australia, my fickle fancy had moved on to other areas of interest!

I did try to paint up some lancers - maybe 5 or 6 years ago but this came to nothing and I'm not even sure where these half painted chaps are now.

Finished 11th Hussar Squadron of 12 x 18mm Eureka Figures
So now for Challenge X - I took 12 troopers from the package and determined to paint these up as a squadron of 11th Hussars - or for those that remember the film - these were Lord Cardigan's 'Cherrybums', on account of their red trousers. It was also the regiment from which the unfortunate Captain Nolan, was detached to HQ duties and led to the late unfortunate mix-up.

For those who are not sure of the story of the Light Brigade - On 25 October 1854, during the Crimean War, the Light Brigade of the British Cavalry Division made the most magnificent and most brutal and pointless charge in military history.

Fantastically detailed book
on the Charge of the Light Brigade
Almost 700 men armed with sabre and lance, charged straight at the muzzles of Russian cannons and massed Russian Cavalry and Cossacks behind. But it was a blunder, they charged down the wrong valley, into the Russian guns instead of scaring off Russian infantry men that were stealing away allied guns in the adjoining valley!

All because Captain Nolan and Lord Cardigan hated each other and could not communicate properly.

As soon as I started painting these guys, I remembered why I'd given up on the lancers, at 18mm scale they have fantastic detail but are so small my ageing eyes really struggle. Difference now is that I've accepted wearing glasses when doing figure painting and results are better.
View from the flank

These Eureka figures are significantly bigger than 15mm counter parts - you do have to get the detail done to make the most of them but they are still smaller than 25/28mm figures that I have been mostly painting recently. I persevered but they were hard work!

A bit more detail
Since my last post - where I detailed how I paint horses - I got some great additional tips on horse colours from Tasmin - so I have tried to incorporate those tips in this batch of horses (See below) - allowing for 'Chestnut' colouring. Thanks for the advice Tasmin! See Chestnut horse below...

Anyway here they are - hope they are presentable as part of the famously futile 'Charge of the Light Brigade' and as such qualify for Benito's Book brief of a Forlorn Hope!


Hopefully a 'Chestnut' horse - without Black fetlocks!
I changed my usual basing technique for these figures, I felt that static grass and flowers would be out of scale and not look right. Instead I found a pot of old 'course scatter' in a light green finish and used static grass very sparingly in clumps. I like the effect at this scale.

Despite my complaining I do like the final result, I did plan to do two squadrons per regiment, plus officers and character figures. Maybe I might take another look and see if I can find those Lancers again!

POINTS (Controversy?)

So The Challenge has points rates for painted 20mm and 15mm figures but not 18mm figures. The gap between the two scales is quite significant for mounted troops - either 4 points for a 15mm figure or 8 points for a 20mm figure.

I have opted for the following scoring system - score them as 20mm figures (nearest scale) but subtract 10% score as 18mm is only 90% of 20mm - Minon of the Day please feel free to adjust according to you r guidelines or Whim - ed - "ah lets confound Miles spreadsheet  I will round these to 20mm "

12 x mounted figures at 8 points each = 96 Points
Bonus Points for Benito's Brook = 30 Points

TOTAL = 96 +30 = 126 Points

From DaveD . Its not often you see Crimean war stuff, its certainly something that keeps piquing my own interest - but i haven't found figures to match the desire yet. I will have to look at these. Nice job . Also you may need to check the pictures as due to sausage fingers I think i deleted one as i posted ..so feel free to add it back in! 

From MikeW. No worries Dave - happens to us all. Have added the photo back in as suggested!

9 comments:

  1. "Half a league, half a league, Half a league onward..."

    These look grand Mike :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added in a photo of a 'Chestnut' horse I did for this batch - thanks for your tips on horse colours. Looks cool!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done. It's a shame such beautiful figures are destined to be cannon fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherrybums! Now, that’s a sobriquet to be cherished. Very fine painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Don't order figures on a whim after reading an inspiring book"??? Heresy!!!

    Well done on this lot - the Crimean War is certainly an appealing period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Lancers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely figures, they look very dashing.

    ReplyDelete