Tuesday 22 December 2020

From Barks: Grimdark Christmas (30 points)

G'day everyone, here's my seasonal first entry and Curtgeld for Challenge XI. This is my 6th Challenge! It is great to be back, although my vague plans and ambitions for the Challenge have been pleasantly derailed by the Chambers of Challenge. I have my usual mix of scifi, fantasy, and historical, in a variety of scales. I'm looking at selling a kidney and experimenting with some GW Contrast as well. I'm dabbling with SLA and FDM 3D printing as well, like this first post- I'll keep the jargon to a minimum!

I've acquired a 3D resin printer (Creality Photon S) and these are the first prints off the bed, with factory settings. Old King Swol and the Tree of the Holy Cog are free files from The Makers Cult. I added a skull to the tree top.


I like the raging Saint Nick; there's a definite pagan Hogfather vibe. He is my Curtgeld.



I was going to do a racing green and white 'tree', but inspiration struck and I went for AdMech red. The scheme reminds me of my Epic titans. It's a solid size on a 60mm base.



I am also invigilating the Skullz side challenge. My trust Skull-o-meter™, Skully McSkullface, is scouring all the entries for skullz. Skeletons, 40K, Black Brunswickers and all the 'Are we the bad guys' units- if there's a skull then it will be tallied! Can anyone come close to the reigning champion Paul O'G's 543?

Skullz: 16

Points: 10ish + 20 for the Curtgeld

Happy Christmas everyone, and stay safe!

24 comments:

  1. An interesting take on the festive season, plenty of skullz and nice painting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Barks, have a great and safe Christmas yourself. Great first submission, but I don’t wanna be on that Santa’s naughty list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun little entry! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that tree! I will have to pick one up as we normally do a Christmas game where you have to rescue Santa from the Inquisition of some similar silliness. This would make a great piece for those games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that tree! I need to source one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool entry! I gather that will make for a very.. well.. let's say "interesting" Christmas! Happy Holidays and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! I highly recommend the makers cult if your into 40k lots of great sculpts. I've been a patreon for several months now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Barks and what a great 1st entry, very topical love both of those figs

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely skull festooned Christmas tree and axe wielding santa!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Barks, hope to see more of your painted printed output over the winter season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still struggling with consistency, so we'll have to see...

      Delete
  11. funniest post so far. Really great

    ReplyDelete
  12. That’s a very imaginative take on the Yule!

    ReplyDelete