Tuesday 22 December 2020

SebastianR: Not Curtgeld, Out of the pit, and something hideous, getting bigger we hear (76 pts)

I got very little done this lockdown year, painting wise. For the past 2 years it's been solely this challenge that has driven me to actually get anything actually done.

With that in mind, this year, I wont be doing any bits, no long prose-y posts, just pure unfettered  p r o d u c t i v i t y.

Boom, hard out the gate, mandatory prize figure, jobs a good 'un.

I call him man with two guns, distaff counterpart to lady with two guns - AKA Black Widow. A copplestone castings miniature I think.


Dual wielding pistols seems a fairly anti-hero thing to do, outside of the 90's anyway. Maybe Max Payne and John Woo protagonists? (I haven't seen any John Woo films, dont @ me). So I suppose his future owner is in line for a bad guy in their pulpy skirmish games.

I even got some asphalt basing material to do up the base.

Speaking of basing, due to being a poor millennial in a one bedroom flat I am finding it difficult to be able to find a space warm enough and de-humidified enough to varnish my figures without gassing myself or the cat. Trying with this figure almost turned him into frosty the snowman. Nothing terrifies my more than nugatory work. I've tried to think up various ways to push through and get it done, but ultimately, I think I'm going to leave varnishing them for the spring. This, of course, means no flock will go on them until after that point either. Maybe there'll be a flocking post towards the end of the challenge. Regardless, I hope this doesn't impact scores in the meantime.

I think this next submission could do with a little flock, and is also my submission for the Hall of Traps; it's an objective for Flames of War.


As we can see, two german soldiers are out hunting for isolated British paras with their a dog


But who's this waiting for them with an SMG?

I've been threatening to make this objective for a while now. I picked up the German miniatures from the Partisans and Polizei box, the remainder of which I promptly sold, much to my lasting chagrin. I'm quite fond of the officer miniature who is casually walking along while working the slide on his pistol.


The para figure has always baffled me. He's on his knees, and has his head cocked in such a way that it looks like he's listening at a door or other opening. It's weird. It doesn't look anything like a common fighting pose.

And finally, for The Pit of Pendulum, a cultists from the board game Cthulhu Wars that I picked up at a bring and buy.


I'm not sure exactly what's going on here. He's got fleshy arms, but a skull face. Regardless of whether he's wearing a mask or is some abomination, barely able to keep up the facade of humanity, whatever he's summoning, I'm rolling SAN.


He'll be pulling double duty as a Mordheim necromancer and a Frostgrave wizard, if I ever get round to actually playing the game.

By my reckoning, that's 60pts for the challenges and 16 points for the minis, for a total of 76pts. A pretty healthy start, especially for me, especially for this early in the challenge.

Hopefully I can get one more post out before I leave to visit my sister for Christmas - legal even now on PLAGUE ISLAND! - but if not, hope everyone has as pleasant a holiday as possible!


17 comments:

  1. Great work Sebastian. I really like that 15mm ambush base.

    In the future please keep it to one location per submission. It keeps things nice and distinct that way and we don't have people potentially completing the Chambers in one go (what fun is thta?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like someone has edited my post. My original pt score was 51.5, someone appears to have changed that to 61.5 and then then put 76 in the title and it looks like I can't count! :P

      Delete
    2. That 'someone' was me. :)

      You forgot that the Challenge Tithe gives you an extra 20 points.

      Delete
  2. Great work and enjoy spending Christmas with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mix of figures, point on the board !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them all, but the little Arnhemish vignette really takes the biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely collection of posts! Nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very varied first entry and three objectives cleared in one go. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snazzy!

    NorCal is also not kind to varnish in winter (or summer). You might want a better glue to hold the flock, or use a glue-on rock for your basing if you’re super worried about it not adhering.

    ReplyDelete