Tuesday 22 December 2020

From Dallas: Count Orlok in the Hall of Traps

Hi there Challengers, it's Dallas here... back again competing in the Challenge after many years away. When Mr. Curt kindly invited me to participate this year I was eager to take up the invitation. While my painting output has always been pretty reasonable, in years past there's been too much to do in the wintertime for me to devote due attention to the Challenge. However this winter, due to a variety of reasons (including but not limited to "no playing hockey during the pandemic"), I think my output will be up to the challenge of 500 points... hence I'm in!

My first entry is this great "not Count Orlok" model from Midlam Miniatures, a small boutique manufacturer located in Gateshead, England. Midlam sells all sorts of old-school fantasy figures, including the old Metal Magic range. This is the "Ancient Vampire Lord" sculpted by Josef Ochmann.

Any resemblance to a certain Count Orlok from F.W. Murnau's cinematic masterpiece "Nosferatu: Eine Symphonie des Grauens" (1922) is purely coincidental I'm sure... but it suits me fine since it makes the figure fit nicely into the "Hall of Traps" theme on level one of the dungeon.

Specifically, for those who don't recall the film, real estate agent Thomas Hutter is sent by his employer in Wisborg, Germany to Transylvania to close a transaction with Count Orlok, who's buying some property in the town. Hutter eventually arrives at Orlok's castle in the Carpathians and hi-jinks ensue... I figure as the Hall of Traps challenge can be fulfilled by painting a figure "lying in wait" Orlok should fit the bill nicely.

I make that 5 points for Orlok and 20 for the bonus, and sorry about the untidy stripes on his trousers!
 

10 comments:

  1. First, welcome back to the Challenge, Dallas! It's great to have you with us again.

    This is a brilliant opening gambit. Though I must say, it reminds me of your hilarious Count von Count from your Warhammer Fantasy army. (I think you need to introduce him to the group here in a future post). Anyway, this NOT Orlock is terrific. I particularly like his natty pinstripe trousers and he has that, ahem, healthy Carpathian pallor. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, he seems quite the merry sort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking not Orlock! Nice pinstripes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full of character and then that warm, welcoming smile! Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work and welcome back Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done, welcome back
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice figure and painting .... Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Dallas - and it is so great to have you as part of the Challenge once again. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work! Now onto the pendulum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the trousers and skin tone!

    ReplyDelete