Monday 18 January 2021

From SimonG: Soviet GSFG BMP Motor Rifle Company in 10mm (78 points?)

 After a lot of hard labour I am now able to field the occupants of my 10mm mid 1980s Soviet BMP Company -- 86 10mm figures from Timecast. The organisation was sourced from Battle.Order and every combatant likely to dismount is included. There's also my own coding so I know who sits where!


Frankly it was a bit of a painstaking job -- including some conversions, such as this making a sniper with an SVD rifle from a prone AK-74.








Overall though I think it came out pretty nicely -- for whatever reason they photograph shinier then they look in the flesh.










I'm glad there are some wood tones on the AK-74s otherwise this would be very boring! However one figure (the Deputy Company Commander for Political Affairs) forgot to take off his peacetime shoulder tabs! I guess he wanted to "fly the red flag" 😆


Anyway I'll be glad to move up in scale and make some quicker progress. 


Overall with 86 10mm figures of which 17 are prone I reckon 78 points would be about right (1/2 a point each for the ones lying down)


12 comments:

  1. Great looking Soviets Simon. Lots of details on those 10mm figures. You kept track of exactly which figure sits. In each AFV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they are nice figures although the bases are pretty large and I had to clip most of them to make them fit the stands. Every figure is correctly assigned to an actual squad and role. So for example A platoon has 3 BMPs each with six men in two squads of 3 (hence A2a and A2b) plus a platoon leader, deputy and medic (stand A.C) and a sniper (A.S) these last groups spread across the various BMPs for transport. I guess that means I could have issues if a loaded BMP is destroyed as different members of the platoon leadership sit in each one! The link I enclosed has all the details.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on these Simon , thankfully I never had to see these guys in real life !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living through the period at the time the threat seemed all to real but now with some years distance it feels ok to think “what if” and revisit those days, but glad you never ran into them for real!

      Delete
  3. Lovely teeny tiny 1980s Soviets !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, going back to 28mm will feel like working on giants 😀

      Delete
  4. Great work Simon! 10mm is such a great scale (which you've shown here). What rules are you going to use for these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. I have Sabre Squadron as the main set with Battlegroup Northag as an alternative so two good choices I think

      Delete
  5. Good work! I'm tempted by Northag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. I’ve yet to review the Northag rules in detail. Sabre Squadron is pretty technical in style

      Delete
  6. For such small figures, you've done the details well. They look magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I basically used the same technique as for larger but with more care on the washes. Particularly avoiding black washes on the guns, surprisingly Reikland Fleshshade worked really well on the wood of the guns!

      Delete