Monday 18 January 2021

From DrQ: The Hatchery (45 points)

For the Hatchery I chose to paint up one of the bigger models in my backlog—the fire dragon from CMON's Arcadia Quest. Do not dragons hatch from eggs?


I also painted up the wizard Algus from the same line so that one could see the scale we're working on here.


The fire dragon stands 127mm high and fits in a 100cmm (or 4") square. He has his own box and so isn't getting based at all. I painted him mostly with contrasts to get the scales to come out. I found out that contrast is very fragile in this process and had give him two very thick coats of Dulcoat to make sure he stays safe. He won't get a lot of use on the table, but I want to make sure he stays safe.


Algus here is from CMON's spinoff game Dungeons of Masmorra. It's sort of a cross between a rogue-like and Yahtzee with a bit go Munchkins thrown in on the side. 


I really like how the sculpt invokes all things wizard-y, from Gandalf to Dumbledore. Algus received a more traditional paint job but likewise had to thick coats of lacquer. As a board game piece he's going to see a lot of wear.


I've got the other starters from Masmorra also sitting on my desk primed, so you can expect to see the rest of these chibi adventurers over the course of the next month or so.

As far as points, Algus is 5, and the dragon should probably count as a vehicle and come in at 20. That plus the 20 point bonus for the area is 45 points total. 

From here I'm going to circle back UP to the Larder in Level 1—an unconventional move, but the post finally brought some models that I want to paint for that room.


7 comments:

  1. Love the colours you’ve used here DrQ and some crisp paintwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sized there, and gotta love those Contrast paints for such projects! Using them a lot myself these days to push through larger swaths of models!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking dragon and wizard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super dragon but that wizard is awesome đź‘Ś
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work DrQ. The dragon is great but I have to say that wizard is the bomb. He looks a bit like a LARPer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dragon looks like he works out regularly.

    Two very cool looking minis.

    ReplyDelete