Sunday 14 February 2021

From EdwardG - The Golem’s Haunt Entry (40points)

 Hi all,

A slightly delayed upload of my next Chambers of Challenge entry. I am still working away at my two main projects, but a mix of work and DiY home improvements have taken up a lot more of my time recently. It is a very familiar story, known to all. 

But I have managed to get these chaps completed and based. 

I must admit, as a normally purely historical painter, the Golem's Haunt chamber really had me panicked on what I could do. Add to this, the fact that I have zero female minis to use as payment for witch rides and I was worried I was stuck only two chambers in. At one point, I was thinking of mashing together some spare plastics in some kind of Frankenstein's monster, but this really was not appealing. But, then I realised that we have the boardgame Scythe sat on the side, and I have promised to paint the miniatures within the boardgame for the past 5yrs (basically since it was released) and that these miniature would make a perfect entry! As the boardgame is set in an alternate 1920s, and involves warfare, I think the definition of wargame can stretch to cover it. 

So, my entry, is 5 Mechs (think 1920s scrap yard AT-AT walkers). These are very much bolted together and in the artwork, certainly look like they are as dangerous to the crew as the enemy. When I asked the wife (Scythe is her favourite of our boardgames) if she had an opinion on colour scheme, she pulled a picture of a transformer from the web and said it should form part of my inspiration. So I tried to stick as close as I could to the transformer aesthetic, with lots of bright sliver and blocks of colour. 




The Mechs are roughly equivalent size to a 28mm foot figure, so I have scored them as such. Which gives the score for the entry at:

4x Mechs @ 5points each = 20points

Chamber bonus = 20points

Total = 40points

The hope is to be posting some more minis, with less of a delay than this one!

Hope you are all staying healthy!

Best,
Ed

5 comments:

  1. Great work Edward! I've always wanted to try Scythe and your entry makes me want to go plunk down for the game. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Curt on this one, Scythe is a game that I keep meaning to pick up but have not, and you are not making it easy to resist. Great entry, and really nice colour scheme on these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking mob of mechs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the Scythe aesthetics.

    (I'm not enthralled by the game, but I'm in the minority)

    ReplyDelete