Monday 1 March 2021

From JeremyM, Imperial Guard Vehicles, the Armoury (110 points)

Hi all,

So time to keep going on the chambers and return to my Imperial Guard army. This time to much needed vehicular firepower for my troops. So 'amoured vehicles' for the armoury. These are all 3d printed from some thingiverse files. They are called the 'magnetic modular vehicle.' I have a love hate with these, as the concept was so amazing, where you could make so many different imperial guard vehicles, but the fit and finish leaves something to be desired. This is partially due to me. I started these early in my 3d printing journey and didn't make the most ideal resin printer supports for them, but  they also have issues due to the nature of resin vs fdm printing (these are likely meant for fdm not resin printing). Resin prints can sometimes suffer from warping due to the suction forces pulling the print off the plastic onto the build plate. As well they tend to shrink slightly. This meant several parts from this project did not fit properly. I had grown so frustrated with these I had actually toyed with the idea of binning the entirety of it. It didn't help that I had some magnetization errors. Anyone who has glued a little magnetic into a model improperly will know how frustrating it can be to try and remove...But I preserved with the project mostly because  they took up around two litres of resin and at least a month of my time (in print time alone), so I have tried to salvage what I could and stick with my 2021 resolution to make the best one can out of life.



I continued with my 'vresh' blue-grey scheme, and went for a sort of urban camo look to them. The artillery is how I'll start off. You can quickly see that dissassembly makes storage of these so much simpler than if they were fully glued. Basically the creator made the two side tracks and front of the vehicle common across the range. Then the main chassis and weapons for the various guard vehicles connects via magnets to those common pieces. 



Here is a missile launcher with two types of missiles as well as an anti-aircraft gun. The magnets were fun with the weapons as the missiles easily detach and the A.A. guns can be posed and swiveled pretty easily. 



And finally the chimera light tanks, the ones I'm least happy with. What isn't featured is that I painted up about 15 different attachments to the big turret gun as well as lighter caliber weapons that attach to the front end of the vehicle (that can also be used in the above vehicles as well). I'm least happy with these because of the poor attachment of the side treads. The square block that connects the pieces didn't fit properly in the cut outs and it leaves a pretty sizeable gap with all of the vehicles. With the more stationary artillery type pieces above, its less of an issue, but with something you would need to pick up and move in a game repeatedly, like these tanks, its an issue. Every time you pick them up it feels like the whole model will just fall apart. My solution will likely be to just use the above artillery pieces as 'magnetic and modular' and just print the treads and front ends for these two tanks and glue them on directly. Hardly the end of the world and its nice to have a solution to salvage the project once I get around to printing them eventually.

All told I printed 3 sets of the treads and front end, and then 6 chassis from the various vehicles. In painting challenge terms I think that gives me 4.5 28mm vehicles for 90 points and another 20 for the room for a total of 110.



14 comments:

  1. This was an entertaining read Jeremy, and a fresh reminder of why I will never, ever want to own a 3D printer! But congrats on sticking with it - I have to say, whatever the engineer merits of the designs, one cannot complain about the final look - they look cool! The "vresh" colours are really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I love my printer overall but you are right it has become a second hobby unto itself. There is a fair bit to learn just to prep the models digitally to print let alone all the editing and other stuff you can do once you learn the programs. I absolutely love my little resin printer for figures, and I think there is tons of potential for fdm printers for vehicles and terrain. They will only get better and designers have really upped their game in creating supports for models...but its still a ways out from one click and print.

      Delete
  2. Smart work Jeremy.
    Sounds like the modular vehicles is a great idea but the CAD files could use some work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is in part the case but I also think it really showed these were meant for the bigger fdm printers and not my piddly little resin one. The concept was amazing though, and I'm happy I could salvage something from the project as it was a lot of printing hours to get to this point.

      Delete
  3. I agree the concept is great, and your paint scheme is lovely! But the headaches don't sound appealing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many skullz are there here?

      Delete
    2. Lol I think I owe many skulls to the skull god as there are exactly 1 on these (a skull emblem on the big yellow missile). Perhaps it shows these are knock offs.

      Delete
    3. I thought I saw some winged skullz.

      Delete
  4. They look great in spite of your technical issues, good thing you stuck with it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking tanks Jeremy, there is kind of an IKEA vibe to the whole flat pack mix and match approach. Kudos on sticking with the printed files.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for sticking with it Jeremy. I don't think I'd had stuck it out myself. Nonetheless, I really like how they all turned out (especially the ridiculously huge yellow missile) and I really like your colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was very close to going in the bin...very close... especially after having to pry out redo a couple of the magnets....arrrggggg

      Delete
  7. Great work there! Love the blue camo

    ReplyDelete