Sunday 15 January 2023

From RobinF: 28mm Gnome Undead : 45 points

This week I painted a selection of Fantasy 28mm models. Most are undead dwarf or gnome models from Midlam games and the rat wizard is a 3d print I bought on Etsy and mounted on a sewer cover base.

I use 30mm round lipped for all my bases and for the undead dwarf I was going for a bog-like green style with the base miniatures. The three skeleton Dwarf models were mixed in to look like bog mummies that have not aged as well! 

Everything happened in a bit of a rush this week, I already had a plan to paint some Orlock for Necromunda but had a sudden blast of a requirement for the weekly roleplaying game I run on a Tuesday.  The players were just about to explore a level of a dungeon in a published adventure called the Abomination vaults. On the latest dungeon floor it was populated by Gnomish bog mummies which had been rotting away for 500 years. They are following the instructions of major non-player character that had asked them to tend a fungus farm to feed an army but their master was long dead and they simply continued the task whilst becoming one with boggy environment.   

With a stroke of luck I discovered Midlam games do a range of gnomes and dwarf undead models, so I placed an order and the fresh metal has been painted with three days of arrival.   

The Rat Mage model has been in the roleplaying game for the best part of ten Months as a player character.  Julie the player of the Rat Mage was happy to play it unpainted but I decided it was time to give it a coat of paint and as with the other models I painted it quickly using glazes. 

I used the under shading technique with my airbrush first spraying a dark grey and then highlighting with a near white from the top. I then applied thin washes of Liquitex soft-body acrylic mixed with water and Liquitex glazing medium.  This was done in one 3 hour sitting and finally I added some Mig Europe base dust to the bases along with Lifecolor vegetable damp origin green.  A small amount of UV resin was dotted on the bases to make them look like they were inhabitants of a bog-like location. 

Points break-down: 9x 28mm miniatures. 36points. 







These are lovely, top work. I almost missed this post as it still said draft on it. Also your maths is terrible, 9x5 = 45😀

11 comments:

  1. Good stuff! It is nice to see some other undeads than humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aged undead gnomes? Thanks but I pass as I’ve just eaten. Really like the Rat mage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! The rat mage is very good, Robin, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Undead Gnomes and Dwarves? So awesome. Great brushwork Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, never heard of any undead except humans, this has been a surprise

    ReplyDelete
  6. The demihuman walking dead are splendidly gruesome! My favorite is the rat mage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a true Dwarf player this hearts my heart to see the noble clansmen like this, but the painting is truly superb!

    ReplyDelete