Sunday 15 January 2023

From DallasE: 1:50 Afrika Korps Sdkfz. 7 Prime Mover (Historical Drama, 40 points)

For my second post today, we've been dropped off by Lady Sarah's limo at the Historical Drama Studio, where our subject is this 1:50 Sdkfz. 7 prime mover. Suits the studio of course because it's a model to be used in an historical game.

This model was originally a prepainted diecast from Corgi. I thought when I bought this model that it could enter service with my Afrika Korps force as-is, but I really wasn't feeling the paint job... that's OK, they're easy enough to repaint.

After masking off the windshield with tape, I primed the model black and painted the metalwork with Zandri Dust, washed with Agrax Earthshade. The interior is Mechanicus Standard Grey highlighted with Dawnstone and lightly washed with Nuln Oil. The upholstery and top are Mournfang Brown highlighted Steel Legion Drab. 

As was typical on DAK vehicles, a small spot was left in original Panzer Grey and the DAK insignia applied (you'll see another such spot on the front offside fender). The paintwork was sponge-chipped with Vallejo German Camo Black Brown.

Of course I added a bunch of stowage from Value Gear. I've almost exhausted my stock of that so will soon need to order more. The stowage really adds a lot to this DAK model.

Here's a better view of the DAK insignia and number plate.

I thought I would include a pic of the 8-ton prime mover in its natural environment - they were often used as tow vehicles for the 88mm Flak 36. Painting this prime mover also motivated me to repaint the 88 - I lightened the colour somewhat as the original colour I painted it was kind of dark. No points for that though of course.

Painting this Sdkfz. 7 has prompted me to place another order with Perry Miniatures for some crew and passengers to use with this vehicle. You're welcome, Perry twins :-)

Anyway the points break down like this:

28mm vehicle: 20 points
Historical Drama Studio bonus: 20 points
Total: 40 points


 Love this, Corgi vehicles do paint up so well, I have many in my collection. Normally I would like a specific film to go with this vehicle, I'm sure someone has made a movie about WW2. I'll say it's from the Dirty Dozen

15 comments:

  1. These look excellent Dallas. Not only is the colour sharp, but I find they warm me up as I gaze at the snow outside my window...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's lots of movies set in the Desert War - "The Desert Rats", "Patton", etc. - but probably I would plump for TV and the good old "Rat Patrol" starring Hans Gudegast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Rat Patrol' was awesome in a completely super-schmaltz way. :) In the same vein, I loved 'Death Race' (1973) - so wonderfully bad, but it would make a hilarious skirmish scenario.

      Delete
  3. That’s a great looking prime mover Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this beast, Dallas. I remember as a kid being gobsmacked by an issue of Military Modelling which had one of these with a squad of infantry all chatting, smoking, etc. An excellent addition to your enviable DAK collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An iconic vehicle and very well painted, Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking DAK transport. The stowage, decals and weathering all work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely painted. Realistic weathering work too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super brushwork on that

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super looking DAK half track!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's one great piece of hardware Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work on the Sdkfz. 7, Dallas. That reminds me that I have one of those Corgi models in late war colours that I need to repaint in early war Dunkelgrau. :)

    ReplyDelete