Sunday 15 January 2023

From Curt: A Gift to SidneyR - 'Sukiyaki the Inscrutable' - Chromatic Oni (25 Points)

 

Here's a classic old mini for you. 'Sukiyaki The Inscrutable', a Games Workshop chaos warrior, first released waay, waaay back in 1985, and then advertised in White Dwarf 81, September 1986.

I've done him as a Japanese demon, an Oni, or at least a flamboyant multi-chromatic one! As a bit of fun, I indulged myself with portions of his lacquered armour, using some riotous shades from Greenstuff World's 'Colourshift Paints'. After that, I thought a bone breastplate, helmet and sword would be suitably creepy, and provide a counterpoint to the rest of his flashy kit.

'Sukiyaki' is a gift to my good pal, Sidney Roundwood, who is madly working on his to-be-released samurai skirmish rules (which we've already been treated to a tantalising preview). I know Sid has a great affection for Aly Morrison's early Samurai models, so I thought he might enjoy 'Sukiyaki' capering around, causing mischief in some future game.



Sukiyaki should be worth 5 points, with another 20 for The Gift Shop.

- Curt

This is beautiful Curt, Sidney will be chuffed. Love the lacquer armour


16 comments:

  1. A fantastic use of the colourshift paints, Sukiyaki will definitely stand out on the tabletop. Sometimes I think it's sad that GW don't make figures like this anymore. Their early figures were very characterful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! His lamellar armour is superb and I really like that creative bony armour. Fabulous work, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work, Curt! I'm sure that Sid will love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Brushwork Curt! I do remember this figure also, we must be getting old…

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous looking gift!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Warrior is in the best paint scheme I ever seen! I like the pastel hues on the oriental armor against the black lacquer. The red fists are a wonderful counter punch( pun intended) to the hues you picked. You are getting a sweet model,Sidney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lord Sidney is a lucky man indeed! That is one brilliant little paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool. Sid's a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff Curt, equal to the task of fitting in with Sidney's work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your kind words. I'm sure Sukiyaki will enjoy his new home amongst Sid's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curt, this is so kind. And it's a stunning model. Thank you so much. I love the lamellar armour and the little glimpses of the Oni's red hands. Just marvellous. Thank you again. I am, indeed, very chuffed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you like him. Sidney. You may need to replace his base with one of your large circular numbers so he blends in better with your collection.

      Delete