Thursday 8 February 2024

From MartinC: Bit of a Wander About [Local History][Statue of Famous Person][Sarah's Library Cart] (441 points)

So more painting has taken place, no gaming this weekend - it does have a habit of getting in the way of painting.

Lets start at the beginning. My Russian army is nearing the 1st phase of completion, i.e. I have no plans to paint more than I have in the pile, but there are some glaring holes and my opponents have more than me, OK that's not true but my next project is to paint Bavarians, so I'll provide my own opponents. The next 2 units are Russian Ulhan regiments. These were a tough painting challenge and the reason I waited 17 years to paint 28mm Napoleonics

Tartar Regiment, love the colours

The pennants look really great

This is what I will see as they plough forward into the enemy

The 2nd regiment is the Polish Regiment. Very similar colour scheme with different hats.

I got both regiments out of a single Perry plastics box i was given for Christmas from DaveD, plus a spare sprue fro Perry's. Overall very pleased with them.

Next up a few 10mm truck from Pendraken for my 10mm Spanish Civil War collection. This is also pretty much complete. I have enough for sensible sized battles, but I know Dave and JamesM, so I suspect I will need a few thousand more to make them happy.

There is no specific paint job for these, they are just trucks.

Next up I need to summon the librarian extra-ordinary to move me to the centre of the library. So I need a suitable female figure. A classy woman needs to be well accessorised, shoes, bag, jewelry and a bazooka

She is another Hasslefree figure with a simple conversion to add a bazooka and shell case from the bits box

She definitely has the post apocalytic feel, although I do see her hunting out alien invaders.

So now I'm in a new room I should post some figures. 1st up is the Local History theme. Coming from Staffordshire but living in Newcastle gives me lots of opportunities. Hadrians wall, Flodden Field, Border Reivers, The Coldstream Guards, Northumberland Fusiliers and the Durham Light Infantry. I'm sure there are more I've missed out but I wanted to paint something for a project I'm working on. I have a bit of thing for the back of beyond, especially between the world wars. During the Russian Civil War the Britsh invaded near Murmansk, initially to stop the Germans and eventually joining with the Whites. One of the units that fought there was the Durham Light Infantry

I acquired these following the sad passing of our friend Scotty. They are lovely figures, no clue who makes them. 

Couple of mortars and a Vickers. This completes the figures I have for the force, it is a sensible size with a lot of machine guns.

Finally the Statue of a Famous Person. 

This is Irena Sendler, a nurse inthe Warsaw Ghetto. She rescued, along with the network she set up, 2500 children. There is a movie about her staring Anna Paquin. The figure was the figure at the last Partizan and a nice figure to end this post with.

I should post my journey around the library, Teemu moans if I don't


Scores on the Doors

16 x 28mm Ulhans = 160
6 x 10mm trucks = 36
20 x 28mm Brits = 100
9 x 28mm weapon crew = 45
3 x crewed weapons = 30
2 x 28mm women = 10
Sarah's Library Cart = 20
Local History = 20
Statue of Famous Person = 20

total = 441pts

TeemuL: Very kind of you, preventing me from moaning. Your brushwork makes me happy, too. Especially the Ulhans, but if it took 17 years to start them, the end result is well worth the wait. And the Durham Light Infantry, too, but the lady with bazooka is ready to take them all - and be victorious. Good progress on the Library Map, only a couple of more to go! And if you have more of these "gameless weekends", you'll be shattering your target in no time at all.

25 comments:

  1. A fab collection of figures, I do like the Tartars though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, welcome back from the twilight zone

      Delete
  2. Excellent Ulhans. Impressive points bomb as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a lancer! Nice pennants and hats. Also great to see the local history selection and your famous person. What well dressed lady would go out without a bazooka?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lancers are great! (the rest too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work all around. Have to agree the lancers steal the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous entries for both Local History and Famous Person. Terrific stuff Martin - love the uhlans as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I sorry to say I had the figure before I heard of her

      Delete
  7. really nice selection of figures Martin, some great painting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minis, Martin. The DLI are my favourites, but then I am totally biased. I used to visit the DLI museum every summer with my family, I loved it there as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chhers, they were an iconic regiment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice uhlans Martin - what make are they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pointsbomb Martin, thanks for the story regarding Irena Sendler, it's always good to remember heroes like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, yes it is, there are too many forgotten like her

      Delete