Thursday 8 February 2024

From BruceR: hobby butterfly/squirrel, Union epic (232 points)

Well, the best set plans do not survive first contact with the paint brush.  I've primed my last Zulus (the leader types with headdress etc..) outside in January on the great plains, shocking. We had a game that Saturday and the local gamer group discussed looking to do a project and some love civil war.  Not my jam, but I'll paint, and play if others want to go down a path as a group.  One has old Essex and minifigs, which are smaller 15mm.  The other has two boxes of Warlord epic Gettysburg figs (unpainted).  I foolishly said, "bring a sprue over so I can look at and maybe test paint".  

Here somebody said "squirrel" and my head jerked.  

I started painting these and found them relatively easy to paint using a combination of contrast/speed paint and regular paints.  Going for a mass look so not museum only for table top.  

Primed sprue (and I have to keep saying outside in January) 

I primed light grey, no black undercoat as so small.  I than go through and use GW contrast Ultra Marine (I think, at the office trying to submit so Teemu can look at this at a decent time) for the coat or shirt and kepi,  GW flesh contrast for face and hands.  GW black contrast for hats and belts.  Regular light blue for pants. I than do a little sand, paint, highlight and grass.

I quite like them, and figure I'll do a few more.  We will use 3 stands to a regiment and build brigades from there.   I'm already looking at Kallistra for some addons to the   Warlord items.  It seems cheaper to get such things as wagons and limbers from Kallistra rather than Warlord.  

test strip of 20

the whole sprue





I'll go back to some of the Zulus and Brits before taking on another sprue.  

Points:

104 infantry and artillery crew @ 1    =    104 pts
artillery    @3                                        =      3 pts
mounted     @3                                    =      3 pts

total                                                       =  110 pts.

Stay well and keep painting.  

Bruce

TeemuL: I guess those are Warlord Games Epic ACW troops and thus their size is 18mm, and it is two points per infantry, four for cavalry or guns. So you get quite a lot points more than you asked for, if I'm correct. If, however, they are 10mm, then you have done excellent job on painting those little men. And brushwork is excellent even on the 18mm scale, no worries. They really like the Union I imagine Union looks like - not really my piece of history, but I know there were blues vs greys, and yours look very good blues. Simple basing makes them pop up even more, I hope they won't catch all the bullets in the first game.

16 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! Excellent job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on these. i would do some but already have too many in 28mm. They are 12mm scale, if I recall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. If I ever get tempted back into an army it will be in a smaller scale like these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those came out nicely! I too have primed at plus temps in the last week. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work - you are doing a great sales job for getting everyone interested in that scale. Finished bases are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic, I think the blues are perfect and will be awesome when all ranked up on the table

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking blocks of troops, you've done a great job picking out the details and making them look like individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little brigade of troops

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great - I don't think I've seen better painted epics

    ReplyDelete
  10. not been a fan of epic etc. yet now I can see how they might be quite compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These really look the business. Nice and crisp brushwork. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work Bruce. The blue really pops against the green grass.

    ReplyDelete