Sunday 17 March 2024

From JP: Final Post Fantasy 28mm (38 points)

Well, they were on my painting table for the past two weeks eyeing me dolefully… so what else could I do?

The first three are by Artizan, a pair of trolls and a goblin shaman. I love the figs but the trolls turned out more difficult to paint than I expected. Lots of nooks and crannies and an absolute pain to properly undercoat (I only brush undercoat). Still, I’m fairly pleased with the outcome. As for the shaman, I decided he should be a bit of a dandy, by my standards anyways.





Then there are the Otherworld male and female owlbears. Getting these two to remain assembled was also a challenge, even with pinning arms and tails in place. I have tried to follow the conventions of nature in that the male is brighter coloured than the female. My only regret is the inability to vary the arm poses. There's also a basic statue...




 

As I end my last entry for this year, I will lean on a little nostalgia.  A very long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a small group of university students started playing a game called Dungeons and Dragons. A member of the group designed a logo, based on our favourite cartoon at the time – he is a painter in this year’s Analog.


The year was 1976 and yes, that’s your drawing skills Frederick Carsted. 

I still have my original rules, in their wood grained box, and I still wax lyrical about the nostalgia of those days.


A couple of years ago, I managed to buy Foundry’s wonderful range of Ogres and Goblins. I was so enamoured I eventually picked up almost all of it. It also led me to paint this little vignette, well in keeping with my twisted sense of humour. No - no points, did it a few years ago. but wanted to share it with fellow painting enthusiasts:







Almost forgot:

6 x 28mm figs (though 4 are well over 32mm) = 30 points.

Thank you again. Hope to see you at the end of this year!

Cheers,

JP

_________________________________

Wonderful work JP! What a great bunch of classic D&D monsters. I realize the Owlbears took a bit of work to get done but they look terrific (with their pose they look like a Motown duet!). Wonderful bit of nostalgia as well (love seeing that early edition of the D&D rules - brings back good memories).

I'm going to award you some extra points as several of these models look well over 40mm.

Thank you for pitching in with us this year, JP. I hope we see you out in the ranks the next time the Challenge sails.

- Curt


11 comments:

  1. Bravo! I love the history as much as the painting. The Owl bears are terrific but the vignette is definitely the star of the show. Makes me wish I'd kept my old rule sets. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun with the vignette. Setting it up to try to max every funny figure was a neat exercise.

      Delete
  2. Lovely fun stuff- that vignette is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some real history there. Nice work on the Trolls and the vignette shows a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - definitely a twisted sense of humour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been great to see, you've just made me add Artizan and Foundry to my Goblins to get list now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful dip back in time. Lovely work here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work JP - really enjoyed your stuff during this edition of the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful stuff and thanks for the nostalgia trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I played the first edition D&D back in the 70s too. Love the collection.

    ReplyDelete