Sunday 17 March 2024

From SebastianR: Behold Kaladrax! [Oversize books] (80 Points)

I told you I'd be back.


I've had this one in the pile of shame opportunity for a long time, and after being thwarted in my last attempt to claim the oversized books location I decided there was no better time than the present.

I also did a lot of anxious procrastinating.

I've never painted a model this big, nor as... prestigious. I didn't buy the original reaper bones kickstarter; I got this figure from facebook I think, for around £50, almost a decade ago and lugged it around ever since.


I love skeleton dragons and was hoping that this bad boy could become the centerpiece for an undead army or be the end boss for a particularly messy Pathfinder campaign, but he's just too damn big. Impractically big. In fact, according to a couple of sources I stumbled across while searching for painting tips, due to a miscommunication with the manufacturer, he was molded larger than intended, maybe even three times as much.


Instead he'll spend his days perched on a shelf, waiting for people to ask, "That's a neat dragon; what the story there?" at which point I will regale them with the tale of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge that forced me to finally paint him.

And isn't that the purpose of the challenge? For us to ignore the projects we actually need to complete in order to chase internet points with fearfully ignored figures from the bottom of the lead reaper bones worryingly soft plastic pile?



It's still too humid to trust a varnish, thus the glossiness on parts of the base.

I have no idea what this is worth points wise. It's 20 for the challenge, and it's technically a 28mm monster, but given the mis-sizing and the sheer size of the model (14"*14"*9").

And that's me I think. Once again I get to within unlocking distance of the Snowlords challenge, but without the time to actually complete the challenge. See you all next year!

____________________________________

That is a fabulous undead beastie, Sebastian! I love his sickly green interior and wing membranes. Very cool. I'm delighted that the Challenge prompts some folk to do as yourself and unpack almost-forgotten treasures to submit to the event. That warms my heart! I also really like your 'Returned' library stamp. :)

Due to the shear size of this fella lets equate him to thee 28mm vehicles, so 60 points plus the Oversize bonus.

Until next year Sebastian!

- Curt

9 comments:

  1. Mining the unpainted mountain of potential is the real payoff. Wonderful work on your monstrously huge undead dragon. Imagine if that was metal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suitably oversize, and nice work here Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beast, I think this is a complete success! As a very impressive mantlepiece, but Maybe you’ll be even able to get it into a game sometime. A cracking job Sebastian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've summed up the purpose of the challenge succinctly and produced an awesome shelf piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular work! That's what the Challenge is for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work. Have previously been tempted by this dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of this Challenge and I like the dragon. It is huge and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is massive. Great to see that you got these beast done after carting it around so long.

    ReplyDelete