Saturday 26 December 2020

From TomG - Warlord Games Epic Battles ACW Confederate 15mm Infantry - 40pts.

Hey all! Challenge number 2 for me, and this time there's no impending child birth to throw me off course half way through, so I'm fully planning to smash my target, but let's wait and see.

Here we have a tester sprue of the new Warlord Games Epic Battles ACW Confederate infantry, which was available from Wargames Illustrated this month. The sculpts are great fun and having taken the plunge on their mega bundle, I thought I'd test out a few ways to get it all painted. 

After priming with GW Grey Seer, the entire sprue was airbrushed with Foundry Confederate Gray B, which I will admit I got a bit wrong, leading to a mottled finish, but one simple layer later and we were back in the money. 

I've had a fascination with the Confederacy for a few years now, and last years entries from me were also ACW. I think the idea of playing an underdog gets me fired up, but that's about it in so far as rooting for the South. 

A great feature of this set is that you can clip the models half off the sprues, so they're only attached at the base, allowing for easy factory line style painting. 

And here is the first finished article. It was a great change of pace to go small in scale, but to still have enough detail to offer individuality to a few of the minis. 5 more bases to go along with the cannon and officer. 

So with 20 figures painted up at 2pts each, I weigh in with a 40pts leap in to the challenge.

See you all soon. 

TomG

22 comments:

  1. Fab work on these Tom.
    I see quite a buzz for the new Warlord release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. Yeah there is quite a lot, and I have to admit I think it's fairly deserved.

      Delete
  2. Great work on these guys Tom. They look very nice all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really nice, top job
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic; brilliant brushwork and basing Tom. I love the scale and design of the models, too bad the period does nothing for me. Now, if these were Napoleonic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I almost forgot my manners: Welcome back to the Challenge Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much, and thank you Curt for the welcome return. I can imagine Napoleonics will come soon, or at least I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting to see these. Will have to have a good hard look at my finances if they do Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking mini Confederates ! I have heard if these go well then Napoleonics will be on the cards,look to your funds people!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking minis, I can see why people are excited about them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.. lovely work...! Be interested to know what techniques you used after the grey spray..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, firstly thank you. Secondly, after the grey coat they had details picked out with vallejo black for the belts etc, vallejo buff for the bedrolls, red hats were Foundry Redcoat A and green hats were vallejo park green. Guns were vallejo burnt umber for stocks and vallejo raw steel for barrels. The skin was Foundry Basic Skin B, then the hair was a mix of vallejo black, vallejo burnt umber or vallejo gold brown. After this everything got a wash with GW Agrax Earthshade. One that was dried I used the same colours as before for highlights, with some further highlights achieved by adding a spot of white to the mix. The skin got highlighted with Foundry Basic Skin C.

      Delete
  11. Gosh I like what you've done with these! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look rather nice indeed! Wasnt really convinced by the photos on their website but yours look great. Love the basing too

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a fantastic result! Very well done indeed! I must not be tempted. No, really must not be. Nope. Please do no more... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can guarantee there won't be more... in fact I can probably guarantee there will be more, quite soon. I'm very sorry 😁

      Delete
  14. Bloody hell.. top job on those, I wasn't convinced - but I am now seriously tempted. Cracking paintwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, that's super appreciated, and I'm honoured you are now tempted.

      Delete