Saturday 26 December 2020

From PeteF: Minifigs Light Infantry for Quatres Bras (120 points)



Old School Battalion

Old school Napoleonic Minifigs are one of my favourite things to paint - I love gaming with them too - but get to do so only rarely. I'm building up the French Minifigs army so that it can take on the Anglo-Allied army that I inherited from my dad and brother. Waterloo at 100ish French infantry battalions seems too much of a stretch but Quatres Bras at 30 battalions is within reach. I'll need  a total of10 light infantry battalions and this one, the 2nd/2nd, is number 7 (the other 3 are primed and ready to paint).

4th Company and Voltigeurs


Most of these minis are from a batch I got a few years ago from someone who could no longer wargame and was breaking up their collection to pay medical bills - an aspect of US society I'll never get my head round. Technically FN68 is a Croation infantryman advancing - but their trousers and pom poms together with the rest of their equipment makes them look a lot like 100 days campaign legere. 

The 2nd/2nd was a pleasure to paint - I tried a new recipe for light infantry blue, which worked and a new approach to doing the buttons, which didn't.  I'm still experimenting with highlights - I want to like the way they look close up and 3 feet away. Not sure if that's compatible.

Carabiniers with Sapper

Santa was good and managed to fit a lot of 7litre Really Useful Boxes down the chimney - some of them color coded blue for the Frenchies. Each one can hold about a division - around 10 infantry battalions of 24 Minifigs each.

Really Useful Boxes of Fun

I was lucky this year and hit the French Napoleonic Minifigs mother load when a wargamer moving away from the state decided to let go of his mostly unpainted Minifigs.  I think there are enough for around 2 infantry divisions and there were a bunch of cavalry too. Maybe I can get started on Waterloo after all.

24 Infantry for 120 points.

The Challenge XI shelf begins to fill. 

16 comments:

  1. I’m really happy to see this project again Pete. Love these old skool Minifigs and the Legere Uniform is always a fave. iIRC the Croatian regiments wore the legere uniform but in green. If not, Curt will nail me to the wall shortly.
    Splendid work, splendid project, splendid target to do Quatre Bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prompted me to look up their history - like many of the allies the Illyrians went to Russia in 1812 - wearing green - and mostly didn’t return.

      Delete
  2. Excellent progress on a superb project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stuff Pete. Always happy to see this project move forward every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking French, and very colourful headgear. Looking forward to seeing more as the challenge progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something wonderful about Minifigs Napoleonic figures, brings back memories of so many great games. Great to see you bringing them back to life 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a mission to find unpainted collections and get them table ready!

      Delete
  6. Wow Pete, these are inspiring! I think my 2021 will be expensively filled with small scale napoleonics now haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking minifigs Napoleonics! Lovely looking battalion of Legere!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Pete. Are we gonna see more of these throughout the Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the plan. If I paint everything that’s primed I’ll have one battalion and two cavalry regiments left to do - I need one officer and a handful of chasseurs and lancers from Calivers.

      Delete
  9. Great work on these old fellows Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see some old school minifigs! They look great and seem perfect for French light infantry. The sapper is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone - now working on some Minifigs cavalry which probably won’t be finished until sometime next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be an impressive collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice work on those old miniatures Pete

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete