Thursday 21 January 2021

From TeemuL: Grey fox, Chamber of Darkness (25 points)

S.N. Owl-Ord was not sure how Sararwen managed to get him to this door, the port was probably playing tricks on his head. She had spoken something about the Grey Chamber, Shellington was not sure they had mutual understanding about his destination, but at least this Chamber (of Darkness) was not having a pest problem. It was having a problem with lights, everything was a bit grey. Even the bard in the corner looked grey with his lute and his face didn't look good. He had a foxy grin when he followed S.N. advancing through the room. "This is not the Principal's office and I'm getting hungry", Uggla thought as he moved on.


Continuing in the Chambers of Challenge, the Chamber of Darkness was quite difficult at first. I have never done anything in greyscale, but I have given it a thought or two in the past. I was thinking, that yes, I can paint a Ringwraith or some statue like thing, but then again this is a challenge... I remembered the soldiers in camouflages painted in grey, but that was may be a bit over the top. But I was thinking different colors, maybe a sport figure, Blood Bowl or something, with stripes and so on? You know, that the figure itself should have colors, but it is painted with greys - not a grey model painted in grey.

Luckily(?) I have lots of stuff in my lead pile, lots of miniatures, which I'm not intending to use in any games, just paint for fun, for example lots of different models from YourModelBox subscription I had for a year. I decided to pick up Rox the Bard from the exclusive Model Box range. And grey fox was something I just couldn't resist, even though Rox is a red fox originally.

I started with white primer, as always. Old habits die hard, I usually start with white undercoat, because if I draw or paint something, the paper or canvas is white, so why would miniature painting be any different? Starting from white is bit difficult when aiming for greyscale, so next I painted the whole thing with old Citadel Black Ink. Now I could see the details, there were some dark shadows etc. Then I opened three grey paint pots, Light Grey, Mid Grey and Mechanicus Standard Grey, which was the darkest. I painted the face and hands first with the Light Grey, leaving the recesses black. Then I started to paint the different clothes, lute and stuff with different colors, adding highlights and layers. The watered down Black Ink helped a bit. I was thinking about going to the white, at least on some areas, but then decided not. It looks quite nice now. I continued the greyscale in the base, painting a simple cobblestone pattern to follow the Chamber theme. This was a nice experiment and after the Black Ink had dried, it took about 30 minutes to be ready. Much faster than with different colors... The lightning and shadows are not correct, but it looks good enough for me. I might paint even more in the future.

5 points for 28mm miniature

20 points for the Chamber of Darkness

25 points total, no skulls, no GW models.

 

 

16 comments:

  1. What a great figure and nice work on the greyscale. I use the dark wash over white to pick out fine details sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I usually avoid black when painting normally, but it works in greyscale.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Teemu, the grayscales came out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trousers have stripes in different shades, not very visible in the photos, though.

      Delete
  3. Gray-t looking 2 tone. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking greyscale bard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I was surprised how nice and quick it was.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Teemu, the bard looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific work on the greyscale challenge, Teemu! The cobblestones are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cobblestones were very quickly done in the end, I should have spent a bit more time with them, but I thought it would take longer with the bard as well.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a joy. I might paint some more in near future, let's see.

      Delete
  8. I'm enjoying the greyscale stuff, you've done a great job with it 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete