Thursday 21 January 2021

From Jeff B: 陷阱与钟摆(The Pit and the Pendulum)Xian Jing yu Zhong Bai (40 Pts)

My take on the next chamber, "The Pit and the Pendulum" is a Chinese version  of the tale. My good friend Mad Guru from Maiwand Day blog fame asked his wife to translate for me. This is her translation, thank you Xinhua.

Poor Yu had been convicted of crimes against the govt, tortured, and forced to watch his comrades being beheaded prior to his own execution. His story is timeless.....

                      陷阱与钟摆(The Pit and the Pendulum) Xian Jing yu Zhong Bai





A WIP shot with reference in the background

The merciless execution (Woo Ching Choo Jue) vignette comes from the Wargames Foundry China Range. It is originally made for the Tai Ping Rebellion, however I think it can be used all the way through the Boxer Rebellion. I intend to use it for the Tai Ping Rebellion, Tonkin in the 1880's, and the Boxer Rebellion 1900. Pictured here is one of my motivational reference pieces.





The standard is an image I researched and captured from the net, copied, flipped, sized, printed, cut, and glued to a .032 Piano Wire rod from any craft or hobby store. The finial is a bead from Hobby Lobby where I purchased the piano wire.




The figures are based on washers to sit in their magnetized boxes. I used wood glue, ballast, sand, and old coffee grinds for the basing materials and painted with craft store paints. Burnt Umber, then Honeycomb, then highlighted with Bamboo.

                                            Here's some close ups.




(4) 25/28mm figures x 5 Pts each + 20 points for the chamber = 40 Pts + standard pts - ?

18 comments:

  1. Great post and glad I can be first to comment. Loved the painting and figures from a more unusual period that we dont often see painting for! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic vignette! Gruesome but very colourful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gruesome but fantastic covers it! Love the hair being pulled tight. The standard came out very well, kind of Tintin like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Jeff, suitably horrible subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully painted vignette - I feel bad for the victim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the comments. It is quite gruesome indeed! I never thought I'd ever paint it up. I have no idea how long I've even had these figs. On to the next chamber .....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking vignette, nasty execution!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool little vignette, simple yet striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that was my intention, I'm glad I succeeded.

      Delete
  9. Nicely executed vignette! (I’ll get my coat.....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fantastic vignette Jeff. Now we know what those long pigtails were for... Yeash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt, thank you, that's high praise indeed coming from such an accomplished painter.

      Delete
  11. Great little group of figures 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Yarkshire Gamer, thank you, I appreciate your time to look and comment. I've been enjoying your blog for years sir. Your Roman army project is excellent!

    ReplyDelete