Sunday 21 February 2021

The oubliette - Beastmen from old tat, Mark Backhouse, (30 points)

 For the oubliette I was looking for old figures I could convert. In my old school Realms of Chaos project I needed figures to represent Beastmen and frankly the 5 figures I had weren’t sufficient. I decided I wanted to make some more from other figures as I couldn’t be bothered to pay eBay scalping prices. I rummaged through my big box of spare figures from old projects and came across some Black Tree Saxon figures that I’d last seen when I was making a Shieldwall army in about 2007. These would be a perfect way to use some long forgotten and unloved figures. The figures were not too bad but the heads didn’t look beastly enough.

The heads were swiftly removed and replaced with Greenstuff beast heads. I used a Bluestuff press mould of some older figures I had, and then grafted them onto the Saxon bodies adding extra hair. They look pretty monstrous, but I suppose that’s the whole point. The goat one had extra wire horns that I then used Greenstuff to sculpt into something more ornate. I had a spare dog head then I sculpted onto a shield - as a 3D face of Khorne bursting out to bark at any attackers to terrify them!




The other shields originally had a slogan on it but it looked naff, so I repainted it as a grimacing red dog beast face. In the box I also found some Foundry Vikings. These were also converted into something crazy, but the results are best saved for the laboratory on the next floor of the dungeon I think! I’ve the last one still to paint as well.
While maybe not quite Oldhammer for a purist collector these Black Tree conversions tick the box nicely for me. The simple and understated sculpting is much more to my preference then the outrageously dynamic and over detailed figures that GW produce these days!
So a simple 28mm x 2 figures = 10 points
Oubliette challenge completed = 20 points
Grand total = 30 points

9 comments:

  1. Nice conversion ... love the Bulldog cross variety! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful conversions Mark! These will be terrific additions to your Old World Chaos collection. Love the cat chap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me you did not freehand those shields!!! They are absolutely briliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent free hand painting on that shield!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking beastmen conversions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, the heads are brilliant and the shields are amazing!

    ReplyDelete