Sunday 21 February 2021

from RayR - The Chamber of Challenge - The Shrine of St Cuthbert 40pts

 


Its Chamber of Challenge time once again!!!
And I'm in "The Shrine"

Shrine: Dearly beloved Challengers, let us bow our heads, and create … a religious-themed entry in this chamber. A model which is worshipping, praying, genuflecting, preaching, pilgrimaging, scourging, crusading, venerating … or maybe just visiting parishioners for tea. Clerics welcome!




I've gotta say I'm mighty pleased with how my Shrine turned out.


This wonderful piece of kit comes from the very talented team at Debris of War


And is available for the great price of £35


You wouldn't believe how long it took me to paint this up!!!!


This is its 4th and final incarnation, I originally tried to paint it up like Andy's from Debris of War,
see below, but I just couldn't get it looking as good. So in the end I gave up and went grey.



I then spoke to Andy on the phone and he told me how he'd painted his. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. But I stuck with the grey anyhow.


I based the Chapel on a large Warbases base.


And added basing flock mixed with PVA to make moss and painted/placed on.


I added a few MDF gravestones, covered with a thin wash of Polyfiller, then inked them. Just to add a 
bit of decoration.


I took a few pics with some figures in to help you guys with its size.


These figures do not count as points.


Also added for effect were loads of Debris of War tufts along with Javis Ivy/climbing weeds


Peek a boo!


In the Chapel set not only do you get the walls but a font, an alter and a small coffin/shrine.


So its down to the points.....
The ruined chapel measures
9.5 inches in length
5.5 inched in width
4 inches at its highest 
Then you have the tiled floor, Alter, Font and Shrine.

Math is not my strong points so after speaking to BigLee and Tamsin, both suggested
20 points, (which I was pretty gutted with!) 😭
And then another 20 for the Challenge Bonus.
Making a total of 40 points

34 comments:

  1. Superb work - that is a fantastic terrain piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice terrain piece here Ray, and very similar to something I make a long time ago with Hurst arts bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid looking shrine, nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking ruin Ray, nice detailing. Now you should do another in the sandstone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shrine; I may get one as a ruined shrine/chapel fits into so many milieus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be using it for Donnybrook and the Haitian Revolution.

      Delete
  6. Awesome ... I think your grey paint job looks better! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is an awesome piece of terrain indeed and you can use it for so many different games as well. Yeah 20 points seems a bit rough but Minions rule as you well know ;-)

    I agree with Peter, you should also do a sand-stone version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic result on this model Ray. I really love the ivy and all the extra detailing you put into it. Surely a few bonus points should head your way for that?? Lol.
    (Maybe there's a good reason why I've only been asked to be a Minion once...I was a bit profligate with the bonus points!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely lovely job! That undergrowth is really well done and places it as such an old building. I prefer it to the website paint job as the undergrowth takes it up a level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a fabulous piece, oozing athmosphere. The ivy is a great addition and the other details really are the cherry on the top. Thrice wow for this. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! The ivy does a magical job making it look an old ruin, instead of a modern bombed out one. Ace work.

    What was Andy’s process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! Andy undercoated his ruin white, then inked/drybrushed it with Mig Desert yellow pigment. Very simple but very effective.

      Delete
  12. That is some beautiful work there Ray and will look great on the table!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an awesome bit of terrain 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete