Tuesday 1 March 2022

From DavidB: White Snakes 10th Company (140 points)


I really did try to finish this tuesday night last week, but after work, I painted orks, White Scars, and bits of other stuff. I did finish this lot on friday and may get a second post in yet this weekend....if I focus on one thing! This is rather auspicious though as I have actually completed an entire detachment of Warhammer 40k. So although I missed another week, this is a pretty big win.
The following is a force drawn from the White Snakes 10th company. Space Marine Chapters that follow the "Codex" are 1000 strong and organized into company formations of 100 marines. First Company are veterans, 2nd-5th are battle companies, 6th and 7th are tactical squads, 8th are assault squads, 9th are heavy support, and 10th is the scouts.
Since most of my military career has been RSTA, I am rather partial in using anything scout related even when use of such forces is always odd in any wargame....except some skirmish rules.


To start, we can begin with the Infiltrators. These are all the easy to build ones and I like them more than the multipart kit which builds either Infiltrators or Incursors. The ETB kit has more dynamic poses like the fellow above using his side arm after emptying his bolter.

Even the hipfire pose is pretty nice.



A comms operator and apothecary. Infiltrators have a useful ability to shut down deepstriking units by jamming enemy comms and radar. they are very useful in board control and holding objectives. 



An infiltrator deploying smoke and the Sgt. Both are nice poses. One is a good reminder to use the smoke grenades while the Sgt is obviously motioning his squad forward while checking position or objectives.


10 marines for ZERO points as They already had grey, and blue on them from before I deployed from the last AHPC I was in before leaving. also 16 skullz. But I couldn't have a full detachment without completing them! They already had layers of the warm grays I lost on them, so they did not get reprimed again like the others. Since the grays on the rest are different, these came out darker than than the others. In an act of irony, my wife gave me a belated Valentines gift while writting this. Scale 75 paints with an almost entire pallet of gray paint....I think the contrast paints with thin layers of acrylic is faster, but maybe later I can try again.


The Incursors came from the Infiltrator/Incursor kit and are the only unit in this force not primed in just black. They were given a zenthial highlight and were a lot of fun to paint with regular and contrast paints as I pushed the shade values.


They are loaded with optics and that was also a lot of fun to paint. Incursors are able to ignore target cover saves as they can see everything.

 

They also have haywire mines to really make Razor's Blood Angel war-machines think twice about getting too close. They have multiple blades and pistols which also help them in being efficient close combat troops. 


These guys are way better than Reivers and carry more equipment.


After I finished them up, I discovered that they were a light brown and not as dark as the other White Snakes....but I am very happy with how they look.


And the Reivers.......Grappling hooks and grav chutes let them scurry across the board, but they are really not good for elite troops.


Their swords hit worse than incursor knives and they can only carry sword and pistol or carbine.


Look at all them pouches...where is the cool guy stuff!?
Still they do fill the "rule of cool" I genuinely do like them, but it'll be awhile before they get fixed and they really need fixing. 


The command section is filled by two Lieutenants shown earlier, a Librarian, and The Captain.

An older fellow with a servo skull to tally his hits!



The librarian is a special one as all his talents are tied to "Phobos" armor which is the slimmer armor these marines sport. His talents are for the 10th company only. He is more support than flash like regular Librarians.



The eliminator squad of snipers with access to three different rounds. I rather like the sniper to the right...


The optics were also fun with these fellows and the Camo cloaks were nice too. Gotta love how 40k tosses all the camo out the window with shiny marine armor and insignias negating the concealment, but that too is a fun part of the game! ;)

Razor has never seen em in color...they are going to be a lot harder to hide now!


A unit of Suppressors. flying machine guns of the autocannon variety. They were at one time glued to the GW flight stands. I lost track of how many times I had to reattach them and all have been broken several times before they were finally painted. The little wings on them are fragile when dropped from a table.


Reading on the internet, there are lots of options over the cheap flight stands. I raided my bits box to make some scatter terrain to pin them to.


Three mini dioramas. I even got to use a miscast light and gave it some battle damage.







The auto cannons got a bit more attention as they are a good half of the figure. I like them a lot better now. It was fun weathering the bases for them too.


Not a big lot, but very satisfying to have one detachment complete. 

10 infiltrators with 16 skulls for zero points
10 incursors with 10 skulls for 50 points
10 reivers that look very cool with 20 skulls for 50 points
3 eliminators with 9 skulls for 15 points
3 suppressors with 19 SKULLS for 15 points
2 lieutenants previously scored
1 librarian with 8 skulls for 5 points
1 captain with  7 skulls for 5 points
or 140 points and 73 skullz(infiltrators uncounted)for an entire detachment....an entire detachment that has multiple setup shennanigans to boot! ;)
Tip of the Spear!



Still more great looking WH40K stuff, David!

Tamsin


 


16 comments:

  1. Lots of stuff again, Dave! The camouflaged units blend nicely to your table. Putting a sheet of white paper under them while shooting photos might make them pop a little bit better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teemu! I was rather chuffed with the muted camo, but I do see your point. I will try some different backgrounds next time.

      Delete
  2. A grim looking crew. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! They fellas didn't believe me when I told them I painted a whole detachment. Now I just have to finish the main body! 🙄

      Delete
  3. Impressive Dave! An entire detachment done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! Just one more detachment and two vehicles and the Iron Snakes are complete...not counting future reinforcements.

      Delete
  4. Love the colour of that power armour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Iron Snakes are metallic, but I disliked the metallic finish on the test model. Instead I used 3 warm grays for high points on the armor and 3 cold grays for shadow areas...long process. Now I am using one each of cold and warm grays( mid tones) over a grey wash, over a zenthial highlight primer. A lot faster with a pale French- grey for edge highlights where needed. Less paint too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an earthy brown glaze to tie it all together.

      Delete
  6. White Snakes! You had me looking for David Coverdale and (mmm) Tawny Kitaen! Nice work though - maybe some more close up pics of the models would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawny!? That would be spicy! 🤣🤣 the hazards of painting two marine forces and writing posts after bedtime! Guess I will either edit this post or list the upcoming white scars as Iron Scars! ;)

      Delete
  7. Awesome looking space marine reinforcements!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that’s a lot of marines! And skullz!

    ReplyDelete