Tuesday 1 March 2022

From MikeP: Some 6mm Napoleonics (90 points)

 Hello friends:

Frankenstein was a pleasant diversion, but it's back to business, and for the last two weeks I've been working in God's Own Scale, clearing off some old lead and newly printed resin from the Napoleonics side of my workbench.'  I've found that the downside of 3D printing is how easy it is to add to the painting pile!  I'm waiting for a machine that prints spare time.

Here are some French Voltiguer skirmishers, 3D prints from MC Miniatures, which you can find on My Mini Factory.  Several of the rules I currently use, Sam Mustafa's LaSalle 2 and General D'Armee from Reisswitz Press/TFL, allow for most infantry units to throw out skirmishers ahead of the main stand.  These cheap and cheerful prints would allow me to cover a brigade or a division, depending on the scale.



One of the guys in the trio in the centre is a previously painted figure who lost his mate in a horrible crushing incident, so only 12 painted figures in this group.


Next up are two regiments of Bavarian Chevau Legers light cavalry in their distinctive tall leather helmets.  There was a bit of a friendly challenge on historical minis Twitter last fall to paint Bavarian troops, and I'm a bit late to the party.   These are metal figures from Baccus.    They'll either fight for or against the Emperor, depending on the year.





Finally, some printed cavalry, Napoleonic Russian Cossacks.  These are 3D prints, also from MC Miniatures.  They print in long strips, which are easier to handle than the Baccus figures which are cast on strips of three, and they're a lot easier to paint, though the end result is a little wooden.  However, it's a fairly easy way to get masses of troops done, and I hope to be exploring the 1812 Russian campaign in the coming year, so I'm going to need lots of troops.

These are actually two command stands, I need to print and paint two more strips of troopers to get two complete regiments.   A friend on Twitter suggested finding some Orthodox icons, shrinking them, and printing them, to serve as banners.  I thought it worked well.



I gave this unit red lances, to distinguish them on the table top.



Massing figures like this is for me the great joy of 6mm gaming.




Points: 
12 X 4 Cossacks = 48 + 36 Bavarians = 84 6mm cavalry @ 1 pt ea = 84 pts.
12 X 6mm foot @ .5 points ea = 6 points.
I can't think of a clever or even a dumb way to link this entry to a Challenge planet.
Total: 90 points.

Cheers and thanks for looking, MikeP


That's lovely work on the tiny guys, Padre! Those red lances certainly pop!

Tamsin

11 comments:

  1. Very nice Mike! All the little men so nicely painted with so many colours and look coherent, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing projects in this scale! This one is so well done.
    If you happen across that spare time machine, would you mind ordering one for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on them, Mike! They look do look glorious ranked up! I would've pipped you up a few points for the skirmishers, but I'm biased! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice work Mike. I love the look of massed 6mms but miss the uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid teeny tiny Napoleonics!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff Mike! I have printed some of these MC Miniatures myself but not yet painted them, very nice to see how well they turned out. Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last pic is perfect 6mm

    ReplyDelete