Tuesday 1 March 2022

From TashaH: A Mysterious Neighbour {Star Yacht} [Mars] (71 points)

Wow! Only 3 weeks left, time to get a wiggle on if I want to complete everything I have on my desk!


This lovely little Halfling would like to board Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht for transport to her home planet of Mars. 



While she is a lovely individual, she does keep to herself and appears to be rather stand-offish. I wonder what her story is?

 



After departing the Star Yacht, she is happy to be home and takes a wander through her garden. Very odd indeed. 

 




Oh, what’s that in the distance? 

 

Is that friend, foe, relative? Are you going to ask? I’m certainly not!




Tired from her travels, the Halfling retreats to her crystal cavern. She raises her ever present goblet and enjoys the solitude. 

 

———

I sculpted the mushroom garden and dragon’s hideaway out of air dry clay. The mushrooms are mdf cut-outs which were primed and painted. Other than the mushrooms, I sculpted everything else. The roses and rocks were quite fun to create. I used clear nail polish for the lake, on the side of the hideaway, to give the water that shimmery look. It kind of fell short of the effect I was going for, but I’m glad I tried it. I did learn the hard lesson that you should not build anything directly on your base, as air dry clay shrinks as it dries. As such, there is a LOT of glue holding these on. There were many cracks!

 

 


The crystal cavern is an aquarium toy that I primed and painted. I was watching a YouTube video where they used aquarium toys and I was at the pet store the next day!


The Halfling and dragon are, no surprise here, WizKids figures! 

The points:

Terrain:

The mushroom garden and dragon hideaway are 3.75x3.75x3.5” each. The crystal cavern is 2.5x2.5x4”. 20 (?) points for all 3 combined.

Figures:

Halfling 20mm 4 points

Dragon 40mm 7 points

Bonus Points

Star Yacht - 20 points

Mars - 20 points

Total - 71 points

I am going to jump into the maelstrom and see where Tamsin drops me!


That halfling lass and the dragon are both really sweet, and I simply love the handmade and re-purposed terrain.

With that in mind, I'll be benevolent and drop you at LV426. "LV426? Benevolent? But, that takes Tasha from the Inner Ring back to the Middle Ring!" I hear people cry. Yes, well...

Tamsin


17 comments:

  1. Some of the tough lessons we all go through once (or twice or thrice), the air dry clay really does shrink!
    My favourite is the green dragon, very nice work on that on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I have a soft spot for dragons!
      Air dry clay got me this time but I’ll be ready next time!

      Delete
  2. Great to see you branching out into Terrain creation Tasha. Love the Halfl8ng and the terrain bits.
    You could try liquitex acrylic gloss medium to get shiny water effects, I use it all the time on my ship bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I will grab some of the gloss medium next time I’m in the city!

      Delete
  3. I do love a trippy entry and this is a great one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work Natasha. Sculpting! Now that is magic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Greg! I have access to a kiln, so I’m going to try experimenting with some different clays. Durability is a concern, so I’ll need to take that into account. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind comments Tamsin! I had a lot of fun creating all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the little miss and dragon, Natasha! I really like the shade and hue on the terrain for the dragon though. Very primeval forest looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice halfling and excellent dragon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete