Tuesday 15 March 2022

From GaryA: Third Submission - 15mm ACW Confederate Infantry: "Arresting, breathtaking, awesome" Thrilled of Tunbridge Wells. (308pts)

 

Despite rumours to the contrary, I haven't been abducted by aliens or the FSB, nor have I been detained at Her Majesty's pleasure. Instead, I've been beavering away at Peter Pig ACW infantry. All painted as Confederate, but drawn from both the Union and Confederate listings to give more variety because churning out infantry is frequently less than exciting.


They represent about a quarter of the number of bases I'll need for Early's Division and are deliberately generic as they'll be used for both 'Pickett's Charge' and 'Fire and Fury' rules, but I think I've already mentioned that.


While I've got the chance, I ought to make a few comments about the Peter Pig ACW range. It's a pretty complete catalogue and just about all the figures are great, but I admit they might not be to everybody's taste. They're 15mm, not the more fashionable 18mm, which makes them difficult to mix with other manufacturers' figures. So, you can mix units, but not figures within a unit.


There are four shortcomings from my point of view:


  • the horses aren't the best I've seen, although you can make a decent job of them;

  • the available artillery models are fairly restricted – the usual Parrotts and 3” Rifles and the Napoleon, but then only a 6 pdr smoothbore and a James Rifle (which rapidly fell out of favour and ceased production in 1862). Not the end of the world, but 12 and 24 pounder howitzers would be useful. This sort of thing is only for aesthetics, I suppose, but it'd be nice;

  • the staffs on the standard bearers are generally too short. They're OK for the cavalry and Confederate infantry standards/battle flags, but anything else will require either an undersize flag or a replacement staff;

  • the range of zouaves is pretty poor and you're going to need to put up with the limited choice, use another range or get stuck in to head swaps.


That said, I still like the range very much: they're robust wargame figures (even I haven't managed to break one) yet with bags of character and detail. Now the sexy bit: a couple of shock and awe piccies so Tamsin can count the figures and then some examples of the bases for the units.














So, the scores on the doors:

2 x mounted figures @ 4pts=      8pts

150 x infantry figures @ 2pts= 300pts

Total                                       308pts

 


Thank goodness - the first proper points-bomb of the day! I was getting rather worried.

That's a great collection of Rebs, Gary - nice work!

Tamsin


Thanks Tamsin. They're easy to paint and it's strangely relaxing. After the infantry it's the cavalry and the artillery teams. I'll see if I'm relaxed then! 😬

16 comments:

  1. Wowza! Fantastic points bomb with terrific figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. They've got to earn their keep though. If they don't perform on the table,they'll be in trouble. Course, this has nothing to do with their general . . . .

      Delete
  2. Great to see this rebel horde! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Got moaned at a few years ago by a chap I know in N'Orlins who didn't like me referring to Confederrates as 'Rebs'. He was joking, but apparently there are still plenty of people who get touchy about being called rebels. There are some who refuse to refer to the war as a 'civil war!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot! Takes our combined total nicely towards the goal without too many whiplashes. :)
    150 infantry, and that's about the quarter, you say? Hopefully you can keep focus on going through the similar poses and get the army finished! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Baldrick says, "I have a cunning plan." I'm doing the Confederates first because you can have a fair bit of latitude with the colours and styles of the uniforms. That's a fairly easy way of keeping the monentum. Once this force is completed, there are two incentives to get the Union force done: easy uniforms which are quick to paint and I've already completed their opponents, so I need to field some competition. If it all gets a bit tedious I can swap to a couple of units from another period and then go back to the ACW project. I know what I'm like - I'm lazy and easily distracted, so I know how to deal with it.

      Delete
  5. Great looking horde of Confederates!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. It's because they're good figures and easy to paint. I don't get bored doing them.

      Delete
  6. Great detail on the figure!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, but,to be fair, it's all down to the sculptor.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic post, 15mm ACW was my first proper wargames love, can't beat it in my opinion - though I've dallied with many a scale & period since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have to say that I'm a confirmed ACW fan, mainly because I'm enthusiastic about the history of the period. Unfortunately, I'm enthusiastic about several historical periods, but at least I'm never stuck for something to paint!

      Delete
  8. Hi Gary:
    So well done, I have 28mm ACW figures in my collection that aren't nearly so well done. Thanks for schooling me on Peter Pig's figures.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mike. As I said above, the sculpts are really nice and very easy to paint. Got to be honest though: they look much better from about two feet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff; I thought they were 28s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're better than many (most?) 28's (the figures, not the painting!). I think it's a great range: one or two 'strange' figures, but, overall, well posed and clean sculpts.

      Delete