Tuesday 15 March 2022

From Tasha H: Final lap around the Outer Ring [Caprica] [Istvaan V] (57 points)

Because I don't have a lead pile to draw from, descending to the Quadrant Hub is not part of my Challenge journey. However... my brand new, sparkly 3D printer arrived last week, so my goal of completing all the planets may be achievable!

I'm currently on Terra, but my submission for this planet is not even close to ready! I am going to leap from Terra, into the Great Abyssal and fall, zoom, vaporize (?) myself to the Outer Ring. Flying past Skaro and the Death Star, as I have already paid my dues there. I find myself now on Caprica.

Caprica's requirement for completion is 'Doomed or Ambush'. A bit melodramatic, no? Ha ha!

 

 

I submit to you a Lightning Elemental. She is a force to be reckoned with! You would not want to be ambushed by her, as you would certainly be doomed on the tabletop! (See what I did there?!) i did look up what a lightning elemental can do and, played correctly, they can bring about some serious devastation. Cool.

 


This figure is from Printed Obsession on My Mini Factory. I know it isn't painted in a typical colour scheme for this type of figure, but I was trying to mimic the colours of a prairie sky during a lightning show. I used Aethermatic Blue Contrast an added Vallejo Model Metallic Air in Steel (71.065) to it with a heavy hand of water.  This created a nice shimmery wash. Over the bodice of the figure, I utilized the same technique, substituting Shyish Purple for the blue. The base and tips of the figure are coated with Dragon Glaze topcoat from Folk Art.

 


We have one planet left in this ring! Off to Istvaan V!

I had no idea what I was doing for this planet. I looked up about 100 things. I actually have two other figures printed, but I just felt 'meh' about them.

It is no secret that I don't have a clue about most of the gaming world, or the majority of science fiction references in the Challenge. I'm also not a history buff. I accept this about myself and thank the universe for google.

For this planet I went religion literal, rather than gaming lore literal.

"Heresy in the Catholic Church is the formal denial or doubt of a core doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church."

I present to you an altar of skulls. Barks, this one is for you! Even though I'm not in the Skull Duel, I wanted to finish the Challenge with at least one skull entry. Here are 200 skulls in heretical wonder!

 


One would have to think that worshipers at an altar of skulls would be in denial of at least one doctrine of the RC church. Also, I'm 100% sure that many of these skulls were obtained for the altar by some means of betrayal.



The altar is from Cults3d, as are the torches. The torches were not an easy print. Of 6, these were the best 2 and they aren't that great. I made them work, because I had a vision in mind and dammit, it was going to happen! I used a lot of Skeleton Horde contrast paint for this altar There are many layers of contrast, Nuln Oil and assorted shades of dry brushing. I picked out random skulls and added some lighter tones to give some depth. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. You may recognize the cultist from a previous entry.

 


Because this altar is printed with smoky black resin, if you hold it to the light, it appears to glow. Nifty.

 


Points:

Lightning Elemental  - 80 mm (I didn't scale it - oops) - 10 points

Skull Altar - 2.75x.75x1" - 4 points ... terrain scoring is a science unto itself. Please adjust as necessary!

Planet Bonuses - 40 points

Total - 54 points

From here we travel to the middle ring with our sites set on Arrakis.



Those two pieces look fantastic, Tasha! I'm going to treat the skull altar as a 40mm figure for points - scoring it as terrain would come to nought-point-two points {20 x [(2.75*0.75*1)/(6*6*6)]}.

Tamsin

24 comments:

  1. 200 skulls in one post, that's a lot! I guess you jump right to the fourth place on the skull duel. Yes, terrain is a very good source of skulls.
    But yes, the shiny Lightning Elemental is terrific, too. Really like the dark lightning look you have done. And the skulls of different shades look very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! My eyes started to cross when I was counting the skulls on the altar!

      Delete
  2. Skulltastic! And the blue sheen on your metallic elemental is superb. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! I had a lot of fun with these.

      Delete
  3. A skull sandbag!!! Well done Natasha!
    No leadpile? That sounds serious...lead shortage is terrible for hobby health...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! It is rather tragic to have no lead pile. My printer has been running pretty much non-stop since I got it, so I should be well on my way soon!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Tamsin! I appreciate the extra points for the altar! I’ve also written down the formula for calculating terrain! I may need that for the end of the week 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great entry, that must be the single most skulls, in one post, ever! Very nicely done Tash. I hope your eyes have uncrossed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! My eyes have nicely uncrossed! There is no part of the altar that isn’t skulls, it really is a well sculpted piece.

      Delete
  6. Great looking elemental and a wonderful skull altar!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking elemental. The silver, blue and purple work well together. The altar is gruesomely heretical, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Natasha, I’ve really enjoyed your stuff this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant duo of prints, that smokey effect is just damn cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work, Tasha, I love how the prairie skies (I have fond memories of three years posted to CFB Suffield near the Hat) inspired your elemental. As for the skulls, well, I am found behind an altar most Sundays and I'm glad it's not a skull altar! I admire your persistence in printing it.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your altar on Sunday was suddenly built of skulls, I’d say there was a likely change in your congregation and your message ;)
      I almost moved to the Hat, it’s a great city!

      Delete
  11. The first rule of Skull Duel is, If you tag it is as Skull Duel then you are in the Skull Duel!

    I like your realistic aged bone tone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well I’m happy to be part of the Skull Duel!

      Delete