Tuesday 15 March 2022

From KenR - 28mm Garibaldi Red Shirts Battalion 5 (120 pts)

 

As I limp towards the end of the Challenge I've managed to scrape together another unit for my Garibaldi Project by finishing off a fifth Battalion of Red Shirts. A few quick snaps before I packed my bags for a week away with work and a few spare minutes in a hotel to get the post together.

No surprises for anyone who has followed this project, a 24 figure unit of 28mm Gringo 40s at 5 points a piece to give me 120 points so I can just get over 1,000 points, well short of my 1500 target. I've done this unit with linen trousers and used some Coat d'Arms paint I've had lying around for years to get a different effect to the other units. I've also done blue kepis with red piping which was used by some early units in Garibaldis Armies.

Back on the battlefield of Mentana the Papal Forces were some distance ahead of their French allies. General Kanzler commanding the army sent 3 companies of Papal Zouaves on a flanking march around the town of Mentana whilst the remaining Zouaves, the Carabineri Esteri and Legion d'Antibes formed up and after some brisk fighting the drove off the initial front line of the Garibaldi.

The Papal Artillery set up on the Monte Guarneri and with the French still not on the field the Papal Forces pushed on towards the main Garibaldi Infantry who were deployed in and around the walls of Mentana.

A ferocious battle began with both sides charging and counter charging each other and with the main Papal line engaged, Garibaldi tried to use his greater numbers to envelop the Papal forces.

With the French arriving and beginning to deploy the battle was in the balance.

So there we go, I hope to get one final post in before the end of the Challenge, it will just be a couple of figures on a Command Base but it will enable me to finish the story of the Battle and lay out the plans for the remainder of the Project.



Woohoo! I get to minion one of Ken's posts! I've been really enjoying watching this project progress. It's not a conflict I know a great deal about, so your history accompanying the posts has been very interesting.

Tamsin

19 comments:

  1. Always an enjoyable read when you post! Your figures are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Natasha, hope you've really enjoyed your first Challenge 👍 apologies I've not had time to keep up with everyone's posts this year.

      Delete
  2. Those are of course wonderful Ken. I’ve also been enjoying your Garibaldi project enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, is ground to a halt over the last month but its been great to do 👍

      Delete
  3. Fabulous as usual Ken. Like Peter, I've very much enjoyed your Risorgimento project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, lots to do if I'm going to get this on the table for October 👍

      Delete
  4. Brilliant colourful unit - great project and guess we can see more next year now?

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, the plan was to put a display game on with these in October, but that could be a big ask. I'm only 7 out of 20 Garibaldi done and one out of 10 Papal and no terrain done. Some mad crazy project will no doubt pop into my head before next year. Keep an eye on Yarkshire Gamer for more units 👍

      Delete
  5. Thanks Ken, I'm looking forward the finale! It has been nice following your project and going through the historic events at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, really hope I get chance to get one more entry in 👍

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking red shirts,I've been enjoying watching you build this force up!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, a lot slower than I hoped but I've got a good start on the Project 👍

      Delete
  7. More Italian fabulousness! I'm really liking what you have done in this wargames period!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ken:
    Such a pleasure to see how much progress you've made on this period and this project, really work of determination and great looking units. I've learned a lot about the period.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very Mike, I think this will be my main drive for the foreseeable so keep an eye on Yarkshire Gamer for more when the Challenge ends 👍

      Delete
  9. These look great Ken.
    It's a shame other commitments kept you away from your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I've missed being involved with everyone else's

      Delete