Wednesday 4 January 2023

From SimonM: Sentry Robots by "Big Mr Tong" (25 points)

These five 28mm scale Sentry Robots were sculpted by "Big Mr Tong" and can be downloaded for free as part of a ten-figure set of STL (Standard Triangle Language) files from his "Patreon" subscription service. Based upon Hans Reinhardt's security forces aboard the U.S.S. Cygnus in Gary Nelson’s 1979 American science fiction film “The Black Hole”, the miniatures were produced using "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin on a Mars 3 Pro 3D Printer.

"Silent and obedient", each model was undercoated with a double-helping of "Vallejo" Heavy Red, before being drowned in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. They were then enthusiastically dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Red, and had both their eyes and blasters layered with "Citadel" Abaddon Black." Finally, these areas were ‘picked out’ using a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal” and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.

I have previously painted ten on these figures back before I owned a 3D printer, when I bought them from “Twisted Pinnacle 3D” on "Etsy". This made me want to make this particular quintet stand out from the others, so I leapt upon a line from the movie where Reinhardt refers to his second-in-command, Maximillian, having a crack unit which was "outwitted and outfought by some Earth robot and that antique from storage!"

The actual Sentry Robots in the film have metallic panels on the back of their heads - something I never bothered to pick out on my original ten miniatures. But the detail is very clear on the sculpts, so I went back and applied a "Citadel" Abaddon Black base layer to these panels, and then followed this up with a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal” and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.

Five x 28mm scale foot figure = 25 Points

Total = 25 Points


Minion Miles: your robots are the very model of efficient painting - well done!

26 comments:

  1. These look great. Black Hole is on my to watch list on Disney Plus. I shall have to deal with this post haste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. The Black Hole is one of my fave films of all-time. I've watched it hundreds of times, LOL!! Terrific stuff, imho.

      Delete
    2. Oo will have to give it a watch then if now 2 people are recommending it.. and top notch painting there!

      Delete
    3. Well I certainly recommend it, MrLee :-)

      Delete
  2. Menacing guys... wouldn't want to bump into one of those in a dark alley at night. Fantastic paint work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anibal Invictus. Simple paint-jobs though - lots of patient dry-brushing.

      Delete
  3. Great sentry robots! (I need to watch this film again) That Big Mr Tong sure does get around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt. BMT does an incredible range, so plenty more to come.

      Delete
  4. These are very menacing, do need some 1950s opponents played by Leslie Neilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I don't actually own any Robby the Robot figures. One to add to my Wish List, LOL!!

      Delete
  5. Very effective, they look fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, The Black Hole - I remember that film, but not as well as perhaps I should. Nice work on the 'bots, Simon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Definitely one to track down on dvd if you can, imho.

      Delete
  7. Although I want to see a V.I.N.C.E.N.T painted up now? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an STL for VINCENT (and Maximillian). But they're rather large - designed to fit in with the old action figures range. Perhaps I'll scale him down one day though. :-)

      Delete
  8. Really effective and well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a pop-up book of The Black Hole when I as a kid!

    ReplyDelete