Wednesday 4 January 2023

From FrederickC - Ambush at Amon Hen (50 points)

 Continuing on with the whittling down of my stash of unpainted Lord of the Rings figures, I give you 'Ambush at Amon Hen'. This is a boxed set depicting that event released by Games Workshop consisting of ten miniatures. The set includes Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Lurtz, three Uruk-hai scouts with sword and shield, and two Uruk-hai scouts with the captured hobbits, Merry and Pippin. Most of the figures are one piece metal castings with the exception of Boromir who comes with three separate arrows and two pieces of the broken 'Horn of Gondor', and Aragorn whose left arm is a separate piece.

Once all the miniatures were assembled and mounted on their bases, some sand was glued down with PVA, along with the occasional pebble for variety. They were then primed black with a rattle can. I used a combination of Vallejo acrylics and Citadel washes to paint them. Here is the end result.

Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas

Lurtz and Boromir

Uruk-hai scout with sword and shield

Uruk-hai scout carrying captured Pippin and Merry

The Ambush at Amon Hen

At some point I want to build the Seat of Seeing, but that will have to wait for another day.

The points being claimed are as follows:

10 x 28mm figures @ 5 points each = 50 points


Minion Miles:  These are fantastic figures - I've always admired the GW LOTR line and you painting makes them even better figures 50 points to Mr C!

31 comments:

  1. Oh, when Boromir is struck down.... Gets me every time. Good work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. I just got them finished early this morning, so the photos I took were a bit rushed and don't do them justice.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Coincidentally, I have just finished last night watching the last of the three films (extended versions of course) at home, as we do in family a LOTR marathon every Christmas, so I have the scene very fresh in y mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Benito. My wife and I have a similar tradition, although we didn't manage to do it this year. We watch the extended version as well, and do a disc per evening between Christmas and New Year.

      Delete
  4. Great figures from a superb scene in the movie (and books). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Curt. Boromir's death always brings a tear to my eye, especially his final words, "I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king."

      Delete
  5. you've done a cracking job on these

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Frederick. Yet another classic LOTR box set, and as ever seeing these brings a jolt of nostalgia, especially boor Boromir. Fine work also on the face paint and markings of the Uruk leader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, more Lotr stuff! Well painted, tol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. IMO you can't go wrong painting LOTRs. Great looking figures Frederick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work. Iconic scenes depicted. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see such nicely painted LOTS stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry. There's more LotR in the queue.

      Delete
  11. Lovely figures from this great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great LotR figures Frederick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice set this, and a fine paint job. I like your Aragorn and Boromir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martijn. I am really happy with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  14. The run of villainy continues! Well done with these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. More villainy coming your way soon.

      Delete