Wednesday 4 January 2023

Wednesday - From PeterB - The future of Law Enforcement and some crazy squigs - Black and White + Under Construction - 132 points

 

Most of my inspiration for purchasing or painting toy soldiers tends to come from the movies, I watch Zulu so I want to paint Victorian redcoats, I watch Band of Brothers and feel a need to investigate some WW2. Therefore this challenge map jumped out at me as great fun, I love movies. I do have the problem though that most of my movie taste is post 1977 ( we hear the hum of lightsabres a lot in our household) so when it comes to painting something black and white at first I was a little stumped. 

Of course there are modern black and white movies, Sin City springs to mind, of course I have already painted Marv as I mentioned on TomG's post with the excellent model from Hasslefree minis (it comes with a choice of heads and arms). Then there is the excellent Clerks from Kevin Smith, but not really a movie in the toy soldier world. Then I glanced at my to do tray and realised I had something that needed painting in grey scale even though the movie was colour:

 

ED209, such an iconic image.


Ever since I first played Space Crusade and then collected Space Marines, I had wanted one of these in miniature. Yes the GW dreadnought was obviously inspired by this design, but I really wanted something like the original. Last September at Colours wargames show my first visit of the day was to the Crooked Dice stand to pick up brand new Military Robot and Cyborg Enforcer






I really couldn't decide on a background for the photos, so I put the green background in on my lightbox in case anyone has any green-screen skills and they want to add a suitable Future Detroit background. I will have to admit to once again using the magic of Nuln Oil for both these models. Painting wise I really didn't have to do much to them, the sculpt does all the work.

 Secondly this week I have also finished off an old project, therefore moving on to the Under Construction studio I have painted up a unit of GW Squigs. Last summer during a week off work I buckled down and painted what I though would be an entire army of goblins in a week. The army was made up of car boot finds over the year from plastic starter sets that parents had obviously bought their children and then subsequently interest had waned. I added a proper leader from Ebay (Skarsnik and his pet Gobbla) and thought I was done, however I felt there was a distinct lack of cave squigs in the army for a Night Goblin horde. This Christmas my sister kindly gifted me a box of the new squigs:





Thus the army now feels more complete:


 

Oh and on the subject of construction, I guess this would cover that same brief, I also painted this mdf kit from Blotz this week.




So to points:

28mm Cyborg Enforcer - 5pts

40mm Military Robot - 7pts

10 Squigs at 28mm - 50pts

2 goblins at 28mm - 10pts

28mm scale loader vehicle - 20pts

 Black and White studio - 20pts

Under Construction studio - 20pts

Grand Total -  132pts

Minion Miles:

Very sci Fi here but even a grognard like me can approve of that - nicely done!


31 comments:

  1. The squigs look amazing ( but I have a soft spot for Squigs and goblins.. ). Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean who doesn't, Kyle? Gotta love some squigs.

      Delete
  2. The squigs are great, they look like deranged space hoppers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that. You can get gobbos riding squigs.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They have kept the classic style, haven't they? It means they fit in nicely with the rest of the army.

      Delete
  4. Crooked Dice has these, too? I haven't paid enough attention to them since Brexit and all-the-time-and-trouble it takes to order from there to EU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They we're brand spanking new when I got them in September, that's practically fresh in wargaming terms!

      Delete
  5. Nice stuff! I too really like the Squigs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff! "You have 20 seconds to comply..." Love the Robocop franchise and the ED-209 is so iconic. I really loved the way the were beastialised by adding growls and snarls to their sound effects, thus reinforcing the remaining humanity of cyborg Officer Murphy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid robocop droid and I love the squigs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. The squigs are excellent and I looove the Robocop duo. 'Come quietly, or there will be... trouble.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the other quote we need is, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

      Delete
  9. We're going to build a brand-new city where Detroit now stands - an example to the world. Great look for law enforcement

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've gone from black and white to full on technicolour in the same post. Marvellous work on all of these minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have followed the Yellow Brick Road! ;-)

      Delete
  11. Great points bomb. Love the squigs. Who would not. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. They are loveable aren't they?

      Delete
  12. Great stuff I really like the squigs and 'shrooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. The shrooms were fun to paint, all those dots!!

      Delete
  13. I like the Robopolice figures, but adore the squigs and your goblin army.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Barks, you are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hardly original, I know, but I too love those squigs! Though the rest of your work is definitely not to be sniffed at either. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From one extreme to another, whatever would Robocop make of Squigs! (if not great television...)

    ReplyDelete