Wednesday 4 January 2023

JamesM: 15mm Cold War Dutch M109s and extras (Under construction) - 97 points

Hi folks,

First entry for this years challenge, and I made use of the 'under construction' studio to clear the decks of some bits I'd started in October 2022 but hadn't made much progress with. 

Following the completion of my WW2 Panzergrenadier transport project last year (which featured in the last challenge) I was sucked into doing a 15mm Dutch force for Team Yankee/7 Days to the Rhine/Battlegroup by the evil Mr DaveD. As a result, my recent project has been painting up a selection of the armed forces of the Netherlands, from around 1985. This rapidly expanded, given my completionist tendencies, to a mechanised company, recce company, and options for a Leo 1 and 2 company - plus support... Plus some other vehicles for some spicy 2nd line battlegroup options. 

I'd made decent progress with this, but back in October sidetracked into painting a load of 28mm Necromunda terrain. As a result, a few 15mm bits had languished, base coated, on my paint shelf up until the start of the challenge. 

The first of these paint table dwellers are some truly massive M109A2 in 15mm scale. These are plastic kits from Battlefront and the scale of these vehicles always gives me pause for thought. They are easily bigger than any of the WW2 heavy tanks I have in my collection - including the King Tigers. These are self propelled artillery armed with 155mm guns. They properly reinforce how big modern combat vehicles are. Note the single hatch mounted commander denoting the command vehicle. 




Alongside these is a 3d printed Dutch YPR-765 PRCO-C-4 from Butlers Printed Models. Unfortunately, missing a .50 cal mount, but as an Artillery Observation Post (OP) vehicle I'm not complaining. I added a third radio aerial to this to mark it out on the table as an OP vehicle as well. While smaller than the M109s, these IFVs are bigger than Sherman tanks at the same scale.  




I also had the 120mm mortars and crews from my M106 Self Propelled Mortars on the painting shelf - the vehicles had been finished earlier this year, but I'd run out of steam regarding painting the crew. These are Battlefront plastic mortars and metal crew figures. Infantry are painted up in the nicely plain and simple Dutch uniform of the period. Pictured loose, and also fixed into the vehicles. 




And a small side project - some .50 cal turrets to add to my existing Battlefront YPR-765 PRI vehicles. These allow me to use the same models to represent 2nd line troops without the advantage of a 25mm cannon. Images show the new turrets, the old IFV model with Battlefront resin turret, and the addition of the magnetised .50 turrets to the same hull. 



Turrets on all vehicles are magnetised, aerials applied using fishing line painted black, decals and headlights add a bit of colour and models are based to the same standard over the whole project. Weathering applied using Tamiya weathering products. 

In total, this batch consists of:

4 x 15mm vehicles = 32 points
6.5 x 15mm infantry/crew = 13 points
8 x 15mm crew served weapons(?) = 32 points

Total = 77 points + bonus 20 points for location = 97 points

Minion Miles: Well those self propelled guns will definitely bring the BOOM!


bring the boom!


26 comments:

  1. Bloody hell.. painting this scale, to this level, amazing.. but then magnetizing at this scale??? WTF! Great work here James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Magnetizing is important as while the models are relatively small, most rules take account of turret armour facing, etc. Plus it looks cool to have turrets turned. I have a collection of very small magnets...

      Delete
  2. Great work on these James. I’ve always suspected that DaveD was evil, use the firepower to blow him up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suspected .. it’s been in plain sight for years 😂😂

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter - Dave is an enabler, showing off all his cool purchases and generally being a bad influence... I'm pretty sure the number of Sudan collections in the world were significantly influenced by his work. Expect to see an upsurge in Vietnam gaming over the next few years as well.

      Delete
  3. Those M113 and the self propelled guns were also used by the Spanish Army. I saw a few when I did my military service in the mid 80s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very common in a lot of NATO armies, and are currently seeing service in Ukraine. If I hadn't put Dutch markings on them, I could have gotten away with them representing a whole range of nations!

      Delete
  4. Wow, fabulous work on these Dutch, James! Great use of magnets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, can't have a challenge without me painting some 15mm artillery!

      Delete
  5. as usual these are fantastic and Dave is evil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed ..l while you are just Chaos

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martin - Dave is just a bad influence, as well we know.

      Delete
  6. I am merely a conduit to allow you to release your inner geek! Grand job James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave - 3mm, 6mm and 15mm... will no doubt end up with some 10's when Leon gets round to doing them.

      Delete
  7. Great stuff James. I always wonder how you get to use modern SPGs in a war game given their firing range! But they are very impressive beasts and great to see one of the less usual forces fielded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. A lot of 15mm rules use 'telescopic' ranges, where the distance scales up. So 4" might be 100 meters, but 8" might be 500 meters, etc. We do tend to play on very large tables in all fairness, and on smaller ones it's handy to have the models even if it's to track off table arty or counter-battery fire. But I agree, it can be silly seeing such assets on the front lines.

      Delete
  8. That’s some excellent work, James! I love the YPRs especially. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nearly 100% sure that now I've painted a load of them in resin and metal Battlefront will be releasing plastic ones this year...

      Delete
  9. Nice work, James! That DaveD chap certainly sounds like a bad influence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work on these James, very tidy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great painting James, really nice results

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3 tickets to the gun show well executed!

    ReplyDelete