Wednesday 4 January 2023

From TeemuL: Black & White Cake (25 points)

"I'm sorry, I need to leave for a moment. The production management wants to meet me, there's something about releasing straight to VHS and making budget changes! I have no idea, what VHS means, it sounds retro, but is probably something new and innovative, which will make our profits higher - and our budget, too! I'll be back, as they say, in the meanwhile you can take a self service tour to some of these nearby studios, they have been empty for a while. Can you think of movies being Black & White? Me neither, I want all the colours of the Technicolor on our great dwarf movie!"

It seems that we are not seeing this cake presenting fox in the Movie-You-All-Know, but I'll present it here in the blog instead. This a ModelBox exclusive model from the YourModelBox, which I participated in for a year some time ago. Sadly, the project has now come to an end, Brexit and all. In short, they sent a monthly surprise box to all subrictors and it contained minis and equipment from smaller companies (I guess anything else than GW was ok) and there was usually (or always?) a ModelBox exclusive mini included, not available from anywhere else.

Two Challenges ago I painted a similar fox from the same source: Challenge XI Fox - in greyscale as well. This one was trickier, I had already put my standards high, since I had painted something like this before. But not only being non-humble, this mini was trickier, I was quite sure that apron, cake and many other pieces should be white. Not very hard on Black & White, but I had to shade them somehow, make them look different and have some other areas quite dark. I managet to get somewhere there, I think. It could be better and neater, but I can live with that. I hope you can, too. :)

The New Fox and the Old Fox

I first painted the mini with Wraithbone spray with bunch of other minis. Then painted it black... I gave it a light drybrush of dark grey to get the texture visible. Then I painted the mini dark grey, just leaving some black here and there in the recesses. Then I did the same with lighter grey, but more gently and only drybrushing some areas. And then the scary part, paint pretty much everything white. So I painted pretty much everything white, some areas more heavily, some only very gently or drybrushing. I made some corrections with darker grey in the end and painted the cobblestones to the base.

He/she/it is quite tall, eye level at 30mm from the top of the base, but still closer to 28 than 40, so I'd like to claim 5 points for the mini and 20 for Black & White studio, for total of 25.


The mention of VHS might hint that we are heading towards the Retro studio, but let's see how the script evolves...

37 comments:

  1. Great entry for the B&W category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These random models with no game purpose are good for these kind of challenges.

      Delete
  2. Very cool, looks like the icing sugar has exploded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have. :) White candles on fire on white icing is quite tricky in B&W.:)

      Delete
  3. Love how that tail came out. Fox tail tips are tricky 🦊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tail is the part I feel quite uncertain, but glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. Great bit of greyscaling Teemu. What does the fox say? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! What does the fox say, I guess it is a mystery.

      Delete
  5. Excellent greyscale painting work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is bit rushed here and there and not the easiest to paint.

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking Fox!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great greyscale work, Teemu. This makes me want cake now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you have your cake department ready baking cakes and not painting minis. :)

      Delete
  8. Cool greyscale fox, Teemu. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, it was trickier than I thought, but turned out ok.

      Delete
  9. Fun entry. Great work and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, it is always nice to notice that people are actually reading this stuff and not just looking at the photos.

      Delete
  10. Good to find a use for these unusual subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, you can have your cake and eat it! Great painting Teemu, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very foxy greyscale minis, Teemu. I like the way you painted the cobblestones on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick! The cobblestone is bit messy, but quite nice.

      Delete
  13. I love this figure! More chef/cooking adjacent figures please 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! :D I'll do my best, but I guess they are quite rare...

      Delete
  14. My, what big cakes you have! Great choice Teemu :)

    ReplyDelete