Monday 20 January 2020

From AlexandroL: Curtgeld - Sdkfz 222 in 28mm (45 points)



"Empezar la casa por el Tejado" is a well known spanish saying, means Start from the final.
My first steps into Challenger island is pay fee for Snow lord's Peak.



I've chosen iconic Sdkfz.222 because It's my favorite Recon Vehicle in World War II.  I think almost all of us have a German Army and never have enough 222. 



This is a great model from Blitkzreig Miniatures, but it does have a a serious problem. The resin is too oily and it's not easy to paint, although you washed it previously.


Difference Resin Between Warlord games and Blitzreig Miniatures.

Detail of gross, oily resin.

My solution was a basecoat of Tamiya putty with acetone as thinner.  It's more a wash than a basecoat. Acetone clean resin and disolve putty, and mostly improve the surface.





All stowage are from Black Dog Models. (1/48 Range) ,  I love this resin model. Fine sculpt, lots of details.



With this Model I should earn 45 Points. 20 Points for 28mm vehicle + 25 Point for Curtgeld bonus.

my following steps into island will be a Sander's Sand Dunes (with some Roman Archers with red dress), I`ll continue inside of the path of history.


***
Hi Alexandros, very nice work here.  Many of us can relate to problems with resin. Myself, I hate resin models, often encountering the very issues you describe (I believe Ken has been battling this as well).  It seems, based on this edition of the Challenge at any rate, that the models from Blitzkrieg seem to suffer in particular from this (I have avoided ordering from them specifically because of the issues so many people seem to encounter). The economics of the hobby are such that we always have, and always will, see resin models out there.

And whatever the issues, one can't argue with the results seen here! Excellent brush work has created a fine-looking model, well done Alexandros. Did you have a specific recipient for this prize in mind? Best to advise before the Snow Lord decides for himself...

GregB

9 comments:

  1. Nice work on the 222 Alexandros - just needs a Lt Gruber figure to go alongside his "little tank" :)

    I've had similar issues with Warlord resin vehicles in the past, but had no problem with my one Blitzkrieg tank. My guess is that it's a cast-to-cast problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job on this. I love WW2 recon vehicles, they're great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More beautifully painted rage-inducing resin. Lovely work Alexandros. It may have taken a few extra steps, but your work here looks fabulous - love the stowage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. Shame that it takes so much extra work, but the results are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the mess with the resin. I have a Pnazer II in the pipeline from Blitkrieg Miniatrues, hoepfully won't suffer the same problems. Excellent pinting and weathering!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking little ac great work on the stowage etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks spectacular! I'm sure whoever gets this little beauty in the end will find plenty of use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous looking 222! I think I've been lucky with my resin vehicles so far!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete