Monday 20 January 2020

From SebastianR: Vermillion, Pathfinder Character (35 Points)

"Look mate, 'e's go' a floppy 'at, what else do y'need?" Geezer sniffed and wiped his nose.

He flicked an uncertain look at me. The guardian of the sandhill looked, likewise, uncertain.

I cradled the foot long idol in my arms as the awkward silence spooled out.

The tribute demanded by the guardian had taken a while to recover. The first one had snapped off at the legs. A second had also snapped at the legs, but this time it had been a clumsy acquaintance rather than myself.

The guardian licked his lips and coughed. "The donnybrook theme was very clear."

"e's a fantasy bird form a fantasy land ma'. With the elves an' goblins an' all tha' nerdy stuff. Look I'm no' 'ere to judge. Maybe he was figh'in' one of them wars bu' wif gandalf or summat."

"It could at least have a badger" muttered the guardian, clearly in retreat.

"e's go' a rat. It's basically a tiny badger."

We shook on it and I handed over the idol, paid geezer his fee and began my climb towards the top of the Sandhill.

***

So this is Vermillion, my other Pathfinder character, this time for Pathfinder Society. He's a Tengu Archaeologist (the horrible misnaming of what is effectively an arcane rogue) and was also procured in return for beer cider. The comments about it breaking aren't a joke. The first print, I managed to break while block colouring. The second was crushed by a fellow player. Those legs are... not robust.



The spell effect in his left hand is my best impression of the shiny spell effects I see on various fantasy models. I think it's passable.


In other news, I got a marco lens. For my my phone. It cost like 10 quid off eBay and the effects are... interesting.

I basically got it in lieu of putting together a proper photography set up, which I don't really have space for.

Pros, I dont need to crop the photos afterwards.

Cons, not significantly better than cropping photos after the fact, closer photos means higher res means my mistakes are bigger, probably made by child-slave-labour.
 

So that's 35pts methinks; 30 for the challenge and 5 for the mini.


***
Hi Sebastian - wow, a lot going on with one figure! I enjoyed the story, but breaking three times...yikes! On the plus side, the brushwork here is very, very sharp on a very cool looking figure.  The spell effect is pretty neat in particular, and works wells with a character working along something as cool-sounding as the "Pathfinder Society".  I've enjoyed looking this up online, and it will help me delay doing work for at least another couple of hours :)

And your new lens helps us appreciate your work. I sympathize when it comes to those who find taking photos frustrating - the lighting is almost always a hassle. But the notion of a macro lens for the iPhone is pretty cool, something I should look into. As long as it's only "probably" made by slave labour...

35 points for you, well done. 

GregB

7 comments:

  1. Lovely figure and great painting Sebastian :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - it's the lens that's made by slave labour! I thought it was the painting that was being done by child slaves, under your direction - sorry to have misunderstood (assuming I have). Either way, the results are really good - I like the model and the painting, and that spell effect looks exactly like real magic, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very cool mini, Sebastian. Great floppy hat.

    And for full disclosure, I'm totally about the whole slave labour thing. Geez, I mean just look at this 'awesome' minion gig I have going on here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on this awesome if fragile figure. I do like your payment method, did you extract similar tribute from your clumsy acquaintance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice figure, lovely painting, the breakages sound a bit iffy though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete