Monday 20 January 2020

From MilesR: A bunch of US War of 1812 and Nappy Himself (216 Points)


This post is yet another build out of the Napoleonic / War of 1812 figures needed for this summer's Historicon game (more on that below)

First up are 30 US Militia based in 7 stands of 4 and a command stand of 2.  Sorry no flags but as these chaps will be used to stand in for Jean Lafitte and his Baratarian pirates, I'm researching the right colors (if any) to use.  The figures are 15mm in scale and from Old Glory.

Next up are 16 US Light Dragoons, again from Old Glory.  These lads together with the ones submitted earlier in the Challenge will allow me to field 3 units of 5 stands each and that's what I need.

Lastly, another 10 stands of Native Americans (again from Old Glory).  I'm not the best painter, as these photos show, but these will look good enough on the table top.

I did spend a bit more time on the last part of this submission.  The figures are from AB in 15mm and depict Napoleon and his staff.
The base is big (115mm x 88mm) and has 8 mounted figures, including the Corsican Ogre himself.

As with other AB figures the sculpts are superb and they were a joy to paint.  It really should be a crime to allow these mini works of art to be sullied by my finger painting skills.

 The two trees are scratch built - some old twigs and ground foam but I think they came out nicely.
 I was going to add a wagon or broken cannon but think that would make the base look too crowded so just went with mixed ground foam from my "debris box"

What's a debris box?  When making terrain I use a lot of different ground foams and what I can't separate cleanly while cleaning up (because it's mixed with other types of terrain materials or paster chips) goes into a mid sized bin.  Over time it becomes a really interesting mix of materials that is useful for "special" units like this one.

The total points for this submission are:

60 infantry figures = 120 points
24 Mounted = 96 points
Total = 216 points

A shot of all the 15mm Napoleonic stuff Ive done in the first month of the Challenge.  I've got everything done to run both the game and campaign I'm planning, which is a good thing as I'm kicking off the campaign at the club in a few weeks.  Based on how that goes, I'll tweak the rules and hopefully be ready to run the campaign at Historicon in July.

By the way, I will reserve choice commands for any Challenge participants if you're planning on attending Historicon this year - just let me know if you want to play in a game.  The convention is in a great new venue which you can see here in a video from the club.

I'm heading out of the country tonight for a business trip and have a busier than expected February so you may see a drop in my productivity.  I still think I can hit my 3,000 point goal but probably not much more than that.

***

Ah Miles - you expect you can hit your 3,000 point goal, but "probably not much more than that." An underspin from a Titan of the Painting Challenge that would make all sorts of 19th century Corsican-descended-Empire types chuckle :) 

Very nice work here in yet another stonking submission.  As you modestly note, the overall effect is what counts, and I feel you are consistently a bit too tough on your brush skills. The miniatures look great, the complete effect is excellent.  And it's always impressive to see the Emperor himself make an appearance in any scale, well done!

That is indeed another 216 points for you - but probably not much more than that for tonight :) We wish you safe travels!

GregB

7 comments:

  1. Great additions to the collection Miles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will make my target but not much more, bah! Sandbagging alert.
    Great looking minis Miles. Would like to take path in one of your wacky kinda historical convention games, but likely not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done Miles! Quite like the look of these and that fellow from Corsica and his entourage really give the feel of a busy commander and his advisers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. i now have visions of Miles painting on planes and in meetings. He will still pip me at the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking Napoleonics and their American allies!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete