Monday 20 January 2020

From JonathanO: Collecting Rocks at Cooke's Crevasse (40 Points)

Following the route to Cooke's Crevasse (my second point of interest on Challenge Island), the path started to rise gradually and also passed through some woodland.  Through the trees I could see another much wider path, but I was sure I was on the correct one.  In the distance there was a campsite by a river.  The tents looked very large and smoke was rising from a fire, perhaps a nice meal was cooking.  I decided to stick to my route as it led to the bridge I would need to use to cross the crevasse. 

As I was about to reach the end of the wooded area, the wind picked up and the sky clouded over.  A sudden, but brief, snow flurry followed and then stopped.  I heard what sounded like rocks being banged together and then a loud growl.  I froze in amazement,  there in front of me was a giant creature standing next to a pile of different coloured rocks.  He was holding a large dark rock in his left hand, and he looked very threatening.


Had he been sent by the Snow Lord to disuade me from heading to the Snow Lord's Peak before completing all my challenges?  Or perhaps getting past him was the challenge at Cooke's Crevasse.
Of course!  He was an Ice Troll guarding the bridge.

 



The Ice Troll growled and I was sure he was about to throw the large rock at me and my Challenge tour would be over.  Then he looked at his pile of rocks and said "I collect rocks".  He lowered his hand and held out the dark rock as if he wanted me to identify it.  When I did not say anything the troll again raised the rock, ready to strike.


The ice troll growled again, but his growl was drowned out by a louder call from the direction of the camp I had seen earlier.  "Al, your supper's ready!  I've cooked that fish you and your dad caught earlier.  The troll smiled, turned around and took off in a clumsy sort of skipping motion down the wide path towards the camp.  As he went he was actually singing!  "Something's fishy at camp Wiganishie".


I looked on in shocked silence and then turned and headed across the bridge, pausing briefly to admire the view of Cooke's Cravasse.  I was thankful to escape that encounter.


 _______

The miniature is the Reaper Bones Ice Troll (77344).  It is a good choice on the Path of the Forgotten.  I had started it in an earlier Challenge, but was not happy with it so set it aside.  I re primed him with Vallejo Silver Grey and decided he would be a good model to try out my newly acquired GW contrast paints.

Points estimate:
Ice Troll miniature (he is more like 54mm in size)   10
Bonus for visit to Cooke's Crevasse                         30

TOTAL                                                                      40

QUIZ TIME:
Fingers on buzzers, no conferring, and no use of the internet to find the answer!
There is a prize for the first Challenger to answer the following question:
Why is the Ice Troll called "Al"?

***
Very nice brushwork here Jonathan - it always interesting to see the character-packed offerings from Reaper Bones. You know, I may have seen this fellow in the parking lot at the local Sobey's this morning...

And we await the answer to the name of the Ice Troll!

GregB



32 comments:

  1. Nice work on Al. I’ve got my thinking cap on, but my brains are still thawing out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Well it has been rather cold lately!

      Delete
  2. Good work on the ice troll Jonathan :)

    Al Ice? Al Ice? Who the f**k is Al Ice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Imagine 24 years living next door to him!

      Delete
  3. OH DAMN, now that friggin song is stuck in my head!!! Damn you!!! Somethings fishy at Camp Wiganishie is now torturing my brain... that and the fact he is from Manitoba and we have seen him at several children summer festivals (like the teddy bear picnic) when my sons were young. I know who it is but will leave the name out for now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and great work on the troll, I really like him. Good work.... but better work on the very obscure Canadiana reference....

      Delete
    2. Ahh, so now (having looked it up) I know the correct answer. I still think my guess is a better earworm though :)

      Delete
    3. You are welcome, Byron! I am glad it helped you remember happy times with your boys.

      Delete
    4. Byron wins the quiz prize as he clearly knows Al Simmons and loves singing his songs. Well done Byron!
      So on the prize conveyor belt tonight we have the following prizes to choose from (all new in boxes):
      Warlord Polish Winged Hussars (metal).
      Warlord Imperial Roman Auxiliary Cavalry (metal/plastic)
      Warlord Ancient Britons (plastic with metal shields, heads etc
      Perry Miniatures British Napoleonic Infantry (Plastic)
      Dropfleet Commander Shaltari Frigate box.
      Pick the one you want and I will arrange to contact you by email and then mail the prize to you. If none of these appeals to you, let me know and I will find something else from one of my 8 boxes of "stuff to sell or give away"! Cheers!

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Wow, how generous of you! Thank you! That damn earworm is still in my head though...Hmmm.... I wouldn't mind the Hussars or the Britons. Let's go with the Hussars as we all know how much I "love" painting cav, so you can say you are punishing me for answering.

      Delete
    7. Right you are Bryon. Great choice. While you are "enjoying" painting the Winged Hussar cavalry you will no doubt be singing Al Simmons "Counting Feathers"!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRk7lGCBEoc

      Delete
  4. Lovely painting and basing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent painting! Wouldn’t want to mess with that fella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really special piece of blending and not so easy to do on a lighter colour and create depth too. Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but please don't give me too much credit! The effect of the contrast paint meant I did not have too much extra work to do. I think the good coverage of the Silver Grey base coat really helped. I am happy with how he turned out.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking ice troll!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Greg. Did you see the troll at Sobey's or his more famous namesake? Oh and I think you forgot to add 40 points to my score (or maybe it was lost in another minion tax grab). Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, being what appears to be a volcanic island with a central peak the rock will be basalt by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I should have told the Troll that Prof. Cooke could help him identify the rock and to follow Al Simmons' rule "I don't take my hobby for granite".

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous looking troll. That combination of VA primer and contrast paint is terrific. AND a wonderful thing to offer a prize for your earworm song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Yes that combination did work well, I was pleased with the result. I hope Byron will enjoy painting the winged hussars.

      Delete