Sunday 24 January 2021

From BruceR Chamber of Challenges Ancestors... (3 28mm figures and 20 pts for the chamber 35 pts)

For the Chamber of Ancestors I'm taking some liberties with miniatures I have around the hobby cave and family.  This may put me at the older stage of AHPC participants as my father and father-in-law served in WW2.  My father who passed away at 96 served in the US Army Air Corp in WW2 as a finance officer and was stationed in England and met my mother after her family had been forced to move due to bombing from London to Luton.    My wife's father was stationed at Peral Harbor (after the war had started) as a mechanic.  He passed away in 1984.  Both men grew up in rural North Dakota and were impacted by WW2 being taken from a rural background and bussed and shipped to separate parts of the world to serve.   I've added my mother who was born in London, served in the women's land army, and married my dad in England (deserves a medal for moving from England to ND to live and raise 4 kids).  Both served, not at the tip of the spear, but made up the millions of soldiers and sailors who served in a roll to support the war effort.

A facebook photo my wife has of me, dad, and Ted (father in law).  One item that strikes me is this photo of me is from deployment day to Saudi Arabia/Iraq in 1990 and I flew 22 hours to land in Saudi.  The other two took weeks to reach their destination by boat.  Times change.

Here are my renderings of my father and mother.  John and Barb.  The John figure is the Brad Prit figure from Fury.  Not sure where I got it and it might be Warlord or a one off by somebody.  I snipped the head and put the brimmed hat on (we called this the Ralph Kramden/bus driver hat).  The Barb figure is a Bad Squido "Women of WW2" figure.  The wall is  Black Site Studios.

In looking at the photos after posted some look like the John figure is drawing to protect my mother from some unsavory advances by other soldiers and the later photos it appears he is drawing on her as she approaches looking for a lucky strike.  Oops.



.





This is the Ted figure.  I have zero evidence he sported such a magnificent stach or every carried an automatic weapon.  Yet, the figure is cool as a Bob Murch "Movember" figure (Muff McGillicutty)

  






 Salute!

15 pts for the 3 28mm figures, 20 pts for the chamber, total 35 pts.

12 comments:

  1. These are excellent Bruce and an extremely fitting entry.
    As somebody who comes from England and has visited ND a few times, I agree your mother was an extraordinary woman :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, at 18 I imagine England was not appealing, yet the tundra once seen was probably a let down. Growing up I remember monthly meetings of the English club ladies, all women who had married and moved to ND with their husbands. None in the same community, but would travel to events hosted by members 60-100 miles. Truly remarkable. Next time hear give a shout. I still have relatives in England so have been a couple of times. Bruce

      Delete
    2. As a Brit in "sconnie" for 5 years I never get used to these winters.
      Unfortunately, I have to go back to the UK in April, but hope to be back here in 18 months.

      Delete
  2. Nice work and great back story. I imagine the biggest attractions to ND other than your dad were the lack of bombs and lack of rationing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good background story to a not lesser excellent paint idea and exection

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely backstory and great looking trio of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. A superb take on the theme and a wonderful family history as well. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bit of family history!
    I grew up in a very small town in southern Manitoba, and the few British war brides in my area would spoil my dad, the local Doctor, with baking (my Welsh dad immigrated in 1961). One Welsh lady in particular would regularly gift my family with welsh cakes.
    I hadn’t thought of that in years, so thank you for bringing back some memories of tea & welsh cakes with my da! 🧞‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely figures and a bit of history to accompany them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bit of family history and accompanying figures 👍👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete