Sunday 24 January 2021

From JamesM: 15mm Canadian Ram OP tank (8 points)

Hi folks,

Slow progress from me this month, due to the birth of my son Alexander at the start of January. Mother and baby doing well but sleep patterns have not survived first contact. 

As part of my current painting plan I aimed to complete another long term painting pile oddity. This takes the form of a 4th Canadian Armoured Division Ram OP tank, as seen in this picture outside Caen during Operation Totalize. 

The concept for this model came from this period photo:

This uncommon vehicle (and uncommonly photographed in NWE) was likely an Observation Post tank with the 23rd Field Regiment (Self Propelled), Royal Canadian Artillery. As such I've marked mine as being from this unit. I've a battery of Canadian Sextons to do at some point to represent this unit more fully on the table - for when I get round to painting Canadian Shermans. 

The hull of the models is a resin Battlefront Ram Kangeroo, with some greenstuff conversion work to turn the hull front into the Ram mk.II version as opposed to the Battlefront mk.1 hull. 

The turret was commissioned by me from Butlers Printed Models several years ago. I understand this company now sells a hull to go along with the turret. The print quality on the turret is not great, so the camo netting is useful to his the worst of the print lines. Compared to some of the resin printing options out there now, this is decidedly crude. 



Camo netting is 1/72 scale, which I think is close enough scale wise to use on 15mm models. Aerials added as usual using fishing line, with two in the turret and one in the hull based on the plans for this type of tank. I added some additional stowage to the turret (again, to help hide print lines), and some bits of plastic to the rear deck to add some shape under the netting. As an OP tank I would have liked a observer in the turret, but with a 3d printed turret, the wasn't an easy option. 

I'm fairly happy with the finished model, and an interesting 'one off' piece for my collection. One 15mm vehicle should come in at 8 points. 


14 comments:

  1. Great work on this model James, I hadn’t realized that a Ram with turret actually served in NWE, just the topless Kangaroos. I appreciate the long road to get the bits to make the vehicle that you wanted.

    Congrats on the baby. Good luck getting sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! This was one of those times I'd seen the picture and had an idea I wanted to pursue. It's always nice to have unique bits in a collection. The Canadians also used turretless Rams as 17-pdr tractors in some AT units in Normandy. The use of turretless Rams as APCs came post Normandy, it was converted Priests unit then.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Peter in thinking none of these made it to NWE. Brilliant sleuthing and better modelling. Well done James and congratulations again on the wee bairn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - about 80 of the OP variants were made, at the very end of the production run. I've now found two more pictures of these in use in the Netherlands by Canadian forces.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the OP tank. Having something unique in your army is always a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see a RAM with a turret in NWE, I also only thought they were kangaroos, lovely finish too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great version of a rarely seen tank, and Welcome Alexander 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work there; that net is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to match the black and white image as closely as I could.

      Delete