Sunday 24 January 2021

From Simon G: A Bevy of HYW Nobles - Two 28mm Impetus Leadership Stands (35 points)

Returning to my long running late 1420s Hundred Years War project I present two Impetus leadership stands. Specifically these are William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk (mounted) and Thomas Montagu, 4th Earl of Salisbury. Both were present at the Siege of Orleans at which Salisbury lost his life (which kind of makes him useless for later battles, I should have checked this before I chose him, doh!)


Anyway all the figures are Perry HWY metals. One of the standing nobles is a file down of one of the Agincourt leadership figures -- filing off all the raised heraldry on these figures is one of the worst things to have to do and it's almost impossible to remove all of it (hence the large obvious shield on his chest).



The banners are both home made, laser printed paper on foil, while the standard is straight out of the Perry plastics box -- probably the last time I use these as the stiff card they are printed on is impossible to bend --- I had a LBMS transfer I intended to use but ruined it as I forgot you needed to paint the white background -- always read the instructions Simon!



One thing I am enjoying is using a Macro lens and focus stacking software on some of these pictures -- you can really get a nice shot this way (of course a tripod is essential!).



Traditional Macro pictures give you that nice bokeh.




Whereas trying to get everything in focus by shooting from further away is next to impossible ...



The heraldry on Montagu's tabard is all hand painted -- the eagle eyed will spot the obvious error in both sleeves (they should be left and right handed front to back, i.e. mirror imaged rather than the same layout on both sides) but I'll let that slide for now ...


Anyway with everything nicely boxed up and another 35 points in the bank (three 28mm foot at 5 points each and two mounted at 10) it's back to the Chambers of Challenge for the next submission


18 comments:

  1. Nicely done Simon.
    I also for the first and last time used one of the standards that came in the Perry boxes, lovely designs but printed on far too thick paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, it looked nice and then I tried to put a bend in it ... aargh!

      Delete
  2. Those are some great looking HYW leaders, love the basing. I too have tried the Perry flags once. They are a great resource but way too stiff and shiny. I am a firm believer in DIY jobs using the MacBook and laser printer,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. DIY is my usual route but I was being lazy! Still it’s an easy pennant to make so when I have a minute I’ll make a new one and swap it out 😖

      Delete
  3. Lovely bunch of HYW nobles ! I photocopy the Perry flags and overpaint, I find them and warlord too shiny anyway!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I could also hand paint this one as it’s about as easy a design S you could ask for! Just need to find a suitable bit of brass for the shape 😉

      Delete
  4. Great figures and photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoy the photographing side of this quite a lot and knowing you are going to take macro shots keeps you on your toes when painting 😅

      Delete
  5. Brilliant looking command stands Simon! Bravo! It's always the trouble of storage for all these tall standards, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, agree with you on the storage, takes a double height KR box just for the leaders on each side

      Delete
  6. Very nice - great painting and basing! Thumbs Up Jez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent looking miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it Stuart, I’ve enjoyed putting this project together

      Delete
  8. Great group of Commanders
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, I can’t wait to get them on the table and have them take charge!

      Delete