Sunday 24 January 2021

From Grahame H. 15mm Austrian 1866

 My plan for this years challenge was to paint a 15mm 1866 Austrian Army. Given the limited size of my table, 6’x4’, I decided, unlike my other armies, to be sensible and paint an army that might actually fit on the table. So I decided to painted 12 infantry battalion, 3 cavalry regiments and 2 gun batteries. 

What I didn’t think I would do was paint it within the first month. 



All the figures are 15mm Essex, so rather than show you every unit, and avoid duplication, I have just taken some pictures that show the various units.

First the infantry battalions. There are 12 of theses, each with 32 figures. Every 3 battalions makes a regiments. The only real difference is a small coloured patch on the collars so I have only shown one regiment with its 9 figure jäger attachment and its 2 commanders. 


Next are the cavalry. 3 regiments each of 18 figures. 

1st Uhlan


1st Hussars




2nd Hussars 

The artillery. Two batteries each with 3 guns and a limber. I only have one limber per battery as they are so expensive for what the actually do during a game and Essex don’t make an Austrian limber so I had to do some head swaps on some Prussian one.




Finally the CinC. I have painted a brigade general for each of the regiments in case I want to use a regiment as a brigade and fight some larger battles. 


So that is it. An army in a month and it only cost me a case of tennis elbow and a sore neck. It also seems I need to clean my cutting mat. 


I don’t think I’ll add any more to it (yeah right), well not during the challenge. I am now just finishing off my Prussian FPW army, which is a lot larger than this one. I may post some photos of these later as I only have the basing to do.

Points.

Line Infantry  (384) 768 points

Cavalry (54) 216

Jäger (36) 72

Artillery two batteries 120

Generals (15) 60

Total 1236

15 comments:

  1. That there is what I call a points bomb 💣 More than my likely Challenge total in one post
    BOOM 💥
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work Grahame! You don't often see Austrians on a table for anything other than Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a mega points bomb! It would take me 2 to 3 challenges to get that many points! Your army looks just great Grahame well done!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome points bomb and fantastic army, would have liked a few more close ups but it looks fabulous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive! They look great and that's fast painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. boom goes the dynamite!!! Awesome work at impressive speed too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic Grahame.
    Not only do you have a very smart looking force for the Austro-Prussian war that huge points bomb made a considerable impact in your race to the total

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boom! That is the 💣! They look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic. An amazing achievement and in a short period of time too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Grahame - that's quite the points bomb. I can't see the composition of the guns so I can't score them. Send me a PM with the details or put up a photo and let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Crap thats a fantastic entry. As a fellow Points bombardier, I tip my hat to you, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Work Grahame, I'm going to have to scramble to keep up with you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I wish I could have seen this come together over multiple posts. Well done.

    ReplyDelete