Friday 21 January 2022

From ByronM - Star Wars Legion Imperial Officer for Vogsphere (26 Points)

This second quick post of the day is simply to pass through the planet of Vogsphere and collect a quick 20 points from it as I try to navigate the endless Bureaucracy of the Imperial government with this Imperial Officer from Star Wars Legion.

This is one space that I really had no idea what to do for, as I don't have any Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy figures and even if I did I am not sure I would want to paint a Vogon as their ugliness is only beat by how horrible their poetry is... but anyway, enough of a sidetrack...  I eventually decided that one of the only figures I had that would fit the theme of Bureaucracy was an Imperial Officer. After all I know of no other organization known to man that can be more bureaucratic than the government or the military and I think she counts as either or both!

Overall I am ok with the uniform and basing, but painted the face about 10 times... there is just zero detail there to work with and I am NOT a good freehand painter so couldn't really add anything in there.  Oh well, from tabletop distance she looks ok, its just close up she looks like crap....  sigh.... 

This is a single 35mm scale figure as of course Fantasy Flight had to go and make the game in a non standard "new" scale, so I am claiming 6 points for her, right smack between 28mm and 40mm scale points.  I also get my first planet of the middle ring, Vogsphere, and a bonus 20 points.

From Millsy:

Ding ding! Round 2 for today! Some great shading and depth on this lass Byron despite your own assessment. Grey is one of the hardest colours to make look good and you've absolutely nailed this mate. The stark highlighting on her belt and gun is a good compliment, really lifting those areas up so they are not lost against the clothing. Nice.

15 comments:

  1. 35mm? Will they ever stop coming up with new scales? What next, 22mm? Seriously though, a great paint job

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great figure and very well painted too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you’ve done a great job with her face. The highlights are well placed to bring out cheekbones and define her nose. You’ve done very well to create facial details that aren’t there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, she was a pain in the ….. as I said, I suck at free hand work (having no imagination or ability to draw) so I rely heavily on good sculpts for shape and guidance and she definitely wasn’t one.

      Delete
  4. A faceless bureaucrat, how fitting! Still, I actually think that you did a great job on her face and the uniform turned out very fine indeed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment… it was a lot of work and trial and effort to get it to even this and I still feel she is only just passable. But at least she is now painted!

      Delete
  5. Good choice and well done! I'm struggling with bureaucracy as well, only considering something imperial and army, like you said, both are very bureacracy, but not maybe spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. Yeah, I struggled for a while with that same thought that it might not exactly match the theme, but in the end figured it was a pretty damn close match, especially compared to the many “seven layers of separation entries” we have seen from some people in the past…. We have all seen many submissions that we wonder what they were smoking when they thought they were meeting the objective…. Many of us still remember and laugh about many from years past when we chat…. No names to not offend anyone though, but we all know…. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, we know. And we don't want to be remembered... :)

      Delete
  6. Great looking military bureaucrat,lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Byron. The scale of Star Wars Legion is indeed annoying...and yet I am so addicted to the figures!

    ReplyDelete