Friday 21 January 2022

Fro LeeH - A Lonely Desert Fort - (60 Points)

I have started work on my French Foreign Legion but once again I don’t want to rush them simply for a deadline. Instead, I spent a little time working on somewhere for the Legion to defend. I started this at the beginning of the Challenge, doing a little bit at a time between other projects so the last push to get it done was relatively painless. 



The model is from Blotz and I can’t recommend it highly enough. The Basic kit was just £31 although what you see here includes a couple of extra wall sections so the whole model - including a spare corner and broken wall sections - came to less than forty pounds. It went together really easily. The online assembly guide on the Blotz website was simple and the model fits together with a tongue and groove type locking system so you can swap sections around. 



The French built a series of forts of varying sizes in Southern Algeria, as the railway lines and trade moved further south. They made useful bases, although the value of strong points against highly mobile raiding parties is debatable. But regardless of their military value, I couldn’t paint a Legionary Army without giving them a fort to defend… especially when the model was so good and so inexpensive. 






Points Scoring:
Including the base, this model is 19”x 12” x 3” to the top of the wall. That’s 684cm3 or 3.21 terrain tubes. However, there is a lot of empty space in this calculation (even allowing for the fact that have painted some additional sections of wall, for variety) so I think 2.5 cubes or 50 points would be more accurate. To enhance the fort I include some scatter terrain consisting of crates, barrels, sacks etc. They are made by Baueda and sold through Magister Militum. I batched them together on four bases because the individual items would just get lost. As for points, maybe 1 per base?? As unusual I leave the final judgement to Dave, as it is always a tricky calculation where terrain is concerned.

From Dave D

Oh my eye.. now this one tickles my fancy - I am very tempted for one of those in 28mm damn it they even do one  - stop it, stop it!! quick hide the credit card. 

 That's a great bit of work alright . I can just see those sweltering Legionnaires pacing the ramparts looking out for there sneaky foe! The scatter does really add somethings .I think given the whole thing and extra work extra i will round you to 60 points .

21 comments:

  1. Superb looking fort Lee! Instantly reminiscent of Legionnaire, March or Die or indeed Beau Geste or even Beau Hunk.
    Very nice looking goods as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nifty fort! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fort is awesome, nice work Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just picture Sergeant Knocker crawling into that fort, his uniform torn and "bloodied". his specs broken, telling his tale of heroism and being awarded medals by Commandant Burger...

    Nice work, Lee, and the scatter pieces look great as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your video on this earlier, nice to see it painted up. That looks great, a very fine addition to your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's super-cool, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing. I love Blotz as a company, they have some great scenery on their site

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great, Lee. I painted up a lot of FFL a few years ago and have the plans for a fort, but never got around to it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid looking fort!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can’t do FFl with a fort to retreat to! Excellent looking and impressive piece Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I agree with Peter, you have to have a nice for to scamper back to. Lovely work Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful building and project Lee! I always wanted (and never got mu hands on) the Airfix Foreign Legion fortress whena a I was kid. This would be a dream made true to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice fort Lee! Good for the legionnaires to have something to defend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, c’est la Forteresse Zinderneuf! Incroyable!
    Sir, you are a credit to France.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous work Lee - Fort Zinderneuf perhaps? The FFL need a fort to defend!

    ReplyDelete