Friday 21 January 2022

From MikeF - Horus Heresy World Eater Legion Rampagers (Babylon 5) and World Eaters Tactical Squad (Istvaan V) - 140 points

My first post really came down to the wire this year. I can blame Manitoba's provincial government for that thanks to their decision to have one week of at home learning. The lesson on rock, paper, scissors was especially useful I thought. That was a real thing! That was a thing that happened.

 Like many in this challenge have already mentioned, plans had been made and subsequently dropped. I was going to spend the challenge working on Stargrave, but the likelihood of playing that anytime soon is slim. Instead I decided to start a new 30k Legion project: The World Eaters. First up is a unit of Rampagers with jump packs. They'll be invading Babylon 5 first! The description mentions low budget fun. This unit is made up of bits and pieces I had collected for other projects. The bacpacks were from Kromlech and were originally intended for another legion. The close combat arms are a combination of Kromlech and Mark III arms. The Mark III marines were sourced from eBay and the Forge World chain axes and pistols we're found while I was dumpster diving behind 7-Eleven! Lucky, eh! Far better than the $140 CAD Forge World wants for kinda crappy looking models.
Next on the invasion tour is Istvaan V! The World Eaters were both betrayer and betrayed at the battle. Because the World Eaters Primarch was such a douche his legion had the largest number of loyalists of any traitor Legion. Angron himself even had to get in there and slaughter his own men because it was taking too long. The World Eaters are the one legion that would have really benefited if their Primarch had been aborted while gestating on Terra. This unit is a simple Tactical Squad equipped with bolters and a chainsword for backup.
I'm fairly happy with the result, although I find the Forge World red transfers don't show up well on the blue. The blue is as light as I want to go, so I ordered some appropriate icons from popgoesthemonkey. I also will probably dial back the weathering on future units. I used the sponge technique, but find it a little hard to control. I think I'll go with the more subtle method I used on my Alpha Legion. I think it's fine for the rampages though, since they're all psychopaths with brain damage and probably aren't worried about the state of their armor. 

 That's 20 28mm models for 100 points plus two locations for 140 points!

Thanks for visiting.

From DaveD
Another scramble to the line sees a fine entry from MikeF - I really like the colour renditions and there is something about seeing a whole larger unit in the same paint scheme - welcome aboard! 

23 comments:

  1. A fine unit Mike and 8 got a chuckle about the varied sources. Spend more time in school and less time dumpster diving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff Mike! Great to see another 30k Legion project rolling on to the table!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking units Mike. You are a glutton for punishment though, last year yellow marines and this year white! You know there are easier colours to paint, right? Great work though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret seems to be Vallejo game color ghost grey for the white. Covers much better than Ulthuan grey and needs fewer coats than the yellow.

      Delete
    2. That is a very useful tip. Thanks Mike!

      Delete
  4. Nice squads, Mike! Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid space marines, I like the sources too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking bunch of looney marines ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking looking World Eaters, the white looks really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great submission! I would like to know more about this school lesson on rock, paper, scissors. Did you uncover the secret to always winning?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and I determined that rock was the best!

      Delete
  9. Looking good, Mike. Glad you were able to avoid the cull. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look great dude! Nice work! Need to know more about the Forge World models found in a 7-11 dumpster dive though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s where I find most of my Forge World. I think it’s actually a portal to some far distant shore!

      Delete
  11. Great work Mike. Nice job tracking down all the pre-Heresy armor too. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Mike. Another Legion for the grinder! I need to get the address to that 7-eleven dumpster...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good looking marines, glad you made your first entry! Waiting for more, these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab work on those Marines Mike

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. “We’re looking for a few good Psychopaths with brain damage” - quite the recruiting slogan! Those guys look aces.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete