Friday 21 January 2022

From PeterB: A trip on a yacht to find some exotic creatures [Noel's Comet] (65 points)

In an interview once, the Oscar winning actor Ben Affleck was asked what his kids thought of his movies. He remarked that he showed his kids some of his films, the only one they liked is Armageddon and even that one they like to mock him for. "What are you, driving a tank on the moon?" I believe the quote was. Why am I mentioning this? Well, Mrs B told me the same story when I showed my youngest some of my recent painted models. "What do you think?" I asked. "Rubbish" was the reply. Kids don't hold back, do they?

So, where am I next on my trip around the stars? Well I was on Coruscant, but I didn't fancy my chances on any of the neighbouring planets. So, a trip on Sarah's Star Yacht is in order again. What better model to do so, than a pilot volunteering for service on the yacht?



The model is from the Stargrave Kickstarter and is one of the metal sculpts that were added on to the bundle. (The rest are coming too, don't worry) It's such a nice sculpt to paint. I couldn't resist giving her a jacket and boots in Mechrite red. So many models in my collection have Mechrite red jackets.

So where am I heading on this trip? Well, over to catch up with Noel's Comet and once the yacht has neatly tucked in to match speed with the astronomical phenomenon, we can sit on the shuffleboard deck, sip mai tai's and I'll tell you a tale of friendship.

When I was a young lad, fresh faced and full of innocence, a GW fanboy with my Blood Angels pin badge affixed upon the lapel of my black leather jacket (I no longer wear such a jacket, I have since upgraded to one that can only be described in colour as Mechrite Red.) I returned home from University having said farewell to my gaming friends. Our home town at the time was missing a GW store, but we did have an independent that stocked Warhammer. I therefore headed on down to poke my nose into the local gaming scene. The member of staff on duty managed to persuade me to purchase some starter decks for the "newest up and coming CCG" involving werewolves called Rage (I have never played it since) but other than that I came away a little disappointed.

My paints, brushes and models were packed away and for a couple of years they were forgotten. I did however return to the store one day and got chatting to a chap called Ian. Ian invited me to join him for some lunch in the local high quality food establishment, McDonalds and we got chatting. We exchanged details and agreed to get together for some games.

Through Ian I have made some great friends, not all of them wargamers, but a fair few. He was an usher at my wedding, I consider him a great friend and we have been friends for around 20 years now. Without Ian I wouldn't have made friends with someone who then invited me to help out on their stand at Salute wargame show for my first ever visit. I've been to every year bar one since.

The Salute wargaming show held by the South London Warlords often falls near my birthday, so sometimes a couple of friends may buy me something at the show as a gift, something I always appreciate. One year, knowing I was in the beginning of building a collection to play some games of Warhammer historical Old West, Ian bought me some buffalo.

Then at Colours in September he bought me some cows.

Every show we have attended together since, he has bought me livestock, including, but not limited to,

Chickens
Rabbits
Badgers
Pheasants
Geese
Llamas
Pigs
Sheep

The last two things Ian gave me were still in my leadpile at the beginning of this challenge.  Ian has recently moved away, so unfortunately for now the zoo won't be growing any more, but the friendship is still there thanks to the wonders of technology. So this post is for you Ian.

Not sure on the manufacturer on this one I'm afraid.

Before you paint this, it looks super freaky without the camouflage.

The Giraffe I actually painted the lighter colour first, then painted the random darker patches. I have some unpainted Victorian British on my shame pile, when I finally get them done, maybe the giraffe can lurk in the background for the photos.

The Dodos are from Freebooter Miniatures

The Dodo's are just the most bizarre thing I have painted. The insert in the packaging state they are for a game called Freebooter's Fate, which I have never played. They will make great objective markers for something I am sure though. Apparently they are 30mm scale, but they are 15mm tall. Oh, and although the zoo may not be growing anymore, Ian did leave me a parting gift of a toolbox full of 3D printed models to add to my to do list. (Can't have me not having anything to paint!)

So points.

  • Star Pilot in 28mm scale: 5 points
  • Yacht bonus: 20 points
  • Giraffe in 28mm: 5 points [Millsy: I reckon that's worth 10 points]
  • Dodo's x 5 in 15mm: 10 points
  • Noel's Comet bonus: 20 points

Total: 60 points.

There you go, I hope that story is loquacious enough, apologies to Millsy for making him go through all that to get to the points at the end.

From Millsy:

LOL, no need to apologise Peter, I love a good background. You'll be pleased to know that when your kids are grown (mine are in their 20s) the frank and pointed feedback doesn't stop, they just know more words to beat you up with.

What a wonderful entry this is mate. I love all of it, including the story, but I'm most impressed with the giraffe. I've been painting minis for 40 years or so and still struggle with animal prints and colour choices. The savanna basing is spot on too. Given the size it's not really a 28mm mini to lets call it 10 points. Do you have a pic without the camo? It would look freaky and I'd love to see it.

65 points added to your total. Keep the good stuff coming!

12 comments:

  1. A great entry, I'm sure Noel would have approved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not often (in fact this may be the one and only time) that we get to see dodos and a giraffe posted here!

    Cracking work, Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a pic of the giraffe unpainted uunfortunately. Shame I can't even remember the manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work here, I especially love that Giraffe as well. As for kids, when they get chirpy, I always reminded min that I could sell them on ebay, that ussually quieted them down for a bit. Once they hit 18 you can just tell them to leave :-) And while I say that momma bear wont let me actually do it… :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great variety of figures. You need to do another giraffe to show us how it looks before camo is applied! And now apparently I need to find some Dodo figures….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the giraffe. Surely, every well stocked barnyard has a giraffe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done Peter. Great work especially on the giraffe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely collection of painted ephemera Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touching story and very nice miniatures, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice menagerie and pilot,great story too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Stargrave stuff is lovely, but your fauna are the showstoppers here!

    ReplyDelete