Friday 21 January 2022

From JasperO: Is this thing on? 1/56 Kfz 19 - 20 points

So the lesson is, despite not having been on vacation for two years until last December, probably don't if you want to participate in the Painting Challenge. You may get time to paint while on holiday, after you recover from the jetlag, but then you get back and have some more jetlag and if you're out of luck, like we were, you pick up some RNA that decides you're a nice host and you spend a week being sick. Net result, it's the last bloody day before the cut, but at least I recovered on time. Anyhoo...

For my please-don't-cut-me post, I present Blitzkrieg Miniatures' Kfz 19 telephone truck. For a far-too-vague scenario Guy is planning, I need to paint a German convoy on the retreat in the Summer of 1944 and I figure this would make a nice addition to a bunch of Opel Blitzes and such. It's a lovely resin cast with only the wheels and the top aerial frame as separate parts.



These vehicles were conversions on top of the Krupp Protze, with a wooden superstructure built on top of the existing chassis. Since construction of the Protze ended in 1941, I figured the vehicle would originally have been finished in German grey. You can in fact find a few photos of a vehicle later in the war that’s been partially overpainted in dark yellow, which makes for a striking pattern that I decided to try and copy. Pretty happy with the result!


From DaveD

Welcome along Jasper - its that time of the challenge for various "my dog ate my homework" posts but hey - your under the wire - and in style too . thats a fine bit of work for the  look of a tired old workhorse of the Third Reich.

And your off and running!


14 comments:

  1. Lovely work - and the grey/yellow combination works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these before. Excellent work Jasper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice "I want to survive The Great Cull" post, Jasper! :)

    Maybe next year, set aside a single 28mm foot figure that you can knock out on Day 1 to avoid last minute panic? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that’s at least what I do each year…

      Delete
  4. Very interesting conversion. I like all these early war crazy vehicles, must take a look at this one for my Blitzkrieg German unit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent first entry Jasper! Glad you made it just in time as I‘m hoping for more WW2 goodness from you.
    That camo looks excellent and I bet this particular vehicle has seen quite a lot up to that point. Operation Bagration maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great Jasper and now Guy won't be able to give you stick on the podcast for not getting points on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bit of wehrmacht soft skinned transport,lovely finish, especially the windows!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool looking vehicle, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very nice looking vehicle! Congratulations on surviving the cut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a pretty one, I do like that scheme a lot! Very well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. magnificent cammo Jasper! Wonderfully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you made it aboard, Jasper, a lovely bit of kit here and the camouflage is top notch.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely weathering and crisp windows!

    ReplyDelete