Friday 21 January 2022

From ByronM - 10mm Kings of War Zombie Horde and Heroes (150 Points)

This week saw the completion of a few pieces that have been in progress for a little while.  They may not look like a lot, but painting that many individuals and trying to keep randomness to the colour patterns was a pain in the backside...


First up is my promised Horde of Zombies for my 10mm Kings of War Undead project.  These are all once again 3D printed from the excellent sculpts from Forest Dragon, and I wanted to have enough of them to actually look like a horde.  In 28mm scale KoW it would only be 40 zombies on a base to makeup the "horde", to me that is just not enough... So, here is my 136 zombie horde!!!  20 of them are 1/2 zombies though (the tops crawling along) so I will count them as 126 models for points purposes later.  I don't know about you, but to me this actually looks like a horde of zombies.

Painting these was a major pain, as there are only so many colours to use, and I wanted it to look random, and at a small scale subtle colour differences just do not show up.  So I stuck with brown, tan, red, blue, green, and purple and went to town on them.  It took far longer than I expected though as keeping it random looking took a lot of going back and forth between models and strips.

Next up is the Heroes of the Undead army, a vampire count on foot, a mounted female vampire count, and two necromancers. While I would not necessarily call a vampire a hero, they are hero choices in the army list, so even though they are evil, I am claiming them as heroes for the space map Glorantha space, which is my fourth space on the outer ring, so time to move into the middle ring.

I decided to base these heroes on 25mm round bases even though KOW wants them on 20mm squares.  I did this as the placement of heroes in KOW is not super fiddly (essentially if they are beside a unit they are involved in the combat with the unit) and this way they are easy to spot on the table and it makes the army usable in other games like Warmaster or any of the derivatives from it (Hail Ceasar, Pike and Shotte, Black Powder, etc) so that if we ever decide to mod any of those games to a fantasy block based setting we can.

Overall this should count as 126 zombies and 4 characters and 20 bonus points for the planet Glorantha bonus, for a nice round 150 points.  Not a bad start to a Saturday.

From Millsy:

Starting off small with the first of three offerings this week I see Byron. These are brilliant mate, hitting just the right mix of grotty consistency with mixing colours across a horde. I totally get the challenge that presents from painting 15mm undead myself. I like the stepped back basing on the horde too, really effective.

150 points on undead goodness added to your tally. Woot!

15 comments:

  1. These are great. A proper horde of shamblers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tiny zeds and heroes, Byron! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a great host of undead Byron. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s some horde! The characters are great too, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that’s a horde of zombies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a horde of zombies. And nice to see that they don't walk in formation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that zombie horde base. I also like the bit of space you allowed at the front. It give the unit a bit more gravitas. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking mass of zombies and nice characters, you're basing decisions also make total sense!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. A most excellent skeletal horde!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are ace Byron, that really looks a horde of shambling dead

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Byron:
    My goodness that horde is creepy! The ones crawling to keep up and the lady carrying her head ! The heroes are aces.
    Super basing, like it a lot!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that’s a proper horde!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Byron! That's a really nice looking horde!

    ReplyDelete