Friday 21 January 2022

From BenF: First Submission 0 Horsemen of the Steppe - 15mm Scyths (Klendathu) [48 points]

Here's my very belated first entry to the AHPC XII. It's great to be back for my 5th year, and this year I'm hoping to get more done than my abysmal effort for AHPC XI - one entry! That's what moving schools and having a 2 year old will do I suppose. I've actually managed to get a fair bit of painting done since the beginning of the challenge, but due to some renovations, my little Evelyn turning 3, (and a resin 3D Printer I got for Christmas) I've not had a chance to get some photos until now. 



This entry is another addition to my 15mm Late Achaemenid Persian army for Impetus 2. This is a very long running project which I began back in 2018. While the Achaemenids are a fascinating force the ornate decorations and clothing on some of the contingents are definitely a challenge for the painting mojo. There is something to be said for Imperial Romans with their plain, easy-to-paint, reds, whites, and steel. I teach a course on Alexander, and next year will incorporate some historical gaming with Basic Impetus 2 to help the kids come to grips with the  battles of Gaugamela, Issus, and The Granicus. I've already got a Macedonian force, and with the last few Persians I'm working, on, I'll finally have some Persian opponents. 

I've used a fair bit of gaming in my Extension History classes before, and last year even finally managed to get a school gaming club up and running. I've heard lots over the past few years lamenting the greying of the hobby, but seeing the enthusiasm of the 9th and 10th grade boys and girls, I think the future ain't all doom and gloom. Speaking of getting younger people into the hobby, Santa got Evie a model Spitfire for Christmas, and she loved sitting at Dad's painting table and painting her aeroplane all the colours of the rainbow. 



So, this entry is a base of Scythian cavalry, excellent little 15mm sculpts from Forged in Battle. These are armoured medium cavalry from the Patient Wolves clan, armed with lance, bow, and sword, and charging into battle under a rather grisly war trophy. Listening to Christian Cameron's superb 'Tyrant' Series while painting has given me a fascination for the horse nomads who travelled the sea of grass, alternately terrorising and trading with the settled societies to the south. It's also where I've taken the clan names from. Barry Cunliffe's exceptional book gives a really good insight into the sophisticated society. They were extremely capable warriors as well, wiping out a force of up to 30,000 Macedonian troops under Alexander's lieutenant Zopyrion in 331BC while the boy king was off conquering the Persian empire. 

Its the Patient Wolves role in destroying Zopyrion's invasion of the Bosphorus that nets me the Klendathu bonus. The colourful patterns on their clothing is all based on information gleaned from Ancient Warfare, as well as fabrics and other burial evidence. I painted the horse using contrast paints over a white undercoat. While I wasn't at first entirely convinced, mixing a few paints has given me some recipes that i'm happy with, making my lest favourite task of painting horses much less painful.









I've got some heavy Scythian cavalry, as well as a few more bases of Light cavalry in the painting queue and this will fill out the Scythian contingent - maybe even expand out into it's own Impetus army.

Next up, some more Persian contingents, Thracian and Illyrian hillmen, though I may try to grab the Glorantha bonus with some heroic Kinsmen cavalry and commanders.


Points Breakdown
7 x 15mm mounted @ 4pts  =  28pts
Klendathu bonus (failed invasion) = 20pts

From DaveD
As this is your first submission to make the cut I will process this one today. Great to see the encouragement of the younger generation - and on a Spitfire too - well done. I do love the horseflesh you have completed - its worth the wait. So welcome to the right side of the cut Millsy will be pleased - that's you back on the Saturday crew!

With that my shift is done as I have an early start tomorrow - I  will leave you to you to tender mercies of Millsy - oh yes indeed very tender .. he's not known as the G*** for nothing ..

18 comments:

  1. Very nice Skythians, Ben! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous looking Sythians,splendid painting in 15mm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great and awesome that your daughter is joining in. My seven year old likes to paint with me now, sometimes I think he does a better job than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking cavalry. The detail on them looks incredible, especially considering that they are 15mm, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work Ben -- very cleanly done at this smaller scale and I always love Impetus basing -- I'll be sure to check out this range for my next Impetus project

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never actually been *convicted* of anything. My tender mercies are fine under local, state, federal and international law it seems. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting and entry - created very atmospheric unit and they really look the part. Will be fun to use on the table!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice Skythians Ben. And Santa is a clever fellow choosing a Spitfire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn you those are excellent. Now I want to get back into classical era!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great figures, but I really enjoyed reading about how you’re igniting a love of gaming in the younger generation. That is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good looking horses Ben! I do like the idea of using gaming as part of teaching and rainbow camouflage on Spitfire sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb work on those little fellows Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on these Ben and congratulations in introducing a new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice Scythian horsemen! And also thanks for the heads up on the invasion of Zopyrion. I'd not heard about it before. Would make an interesting campaign! Are there any books you could recommend?
    Also, would be interested to know your contrast paint formulas. The horses look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alwaysatreat to see your work, Ben, I had thought those were 28 s until I read the text! You’re a talented painter and a good dad.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete