Wednesday 18 March 2020

From TeemuL: Dwarfing the Peak (45 points)

"Some old dwarfs, you said? Well, here you are."
"Yeah, not that many..."
"It seems we are a bit late, most of the dwarfs have already left, when the earlier treasures were taken off."
"But surely there still is a treasure for us?"



So here are some Oldhammer dwarfs, as requested. They are Norse Dwarfs from 1987. I was going to paint more, but then realized, that I don't have proper shields for those old ones (shields with hole in the middle), only the newer ones. So I picked up these three, which don't have shields at all - clever.



I guess three haven't been dwarfs with bows in the Warhammer in decades, only crossbows and black powder nonsense. I don't know what I will do with these (well I do, they end up on the shelf with others), but I guess they could be used as fillers in other groups. May be as a support troops on the back row... The third one might be one of the drunken dwarfs, which were published at one point.




But in the end these were quite a perfect group, I usually painted my Oldhammers in groups of 1-5, so this fits nicely there. Of course I used to paint them with lots of time and effort, now I decided to try how well the Contrast painted dwarfs blend in to the existing group. Not that bad, although my existing dwarfs might be a bit more darker and colorful, or more highly pigmented. Not really know the technical terms. The horns on the helmet are painted traditionally. And the stuff on the bases is sand, not sawdust.



So a small offering, but I was bit late, got delayed during the journey and I knew it the beginning that installing floor panels and wallpapers would take considerable amount of my hobby time during this winter. Three 28mm dwarfs for 15 points and 30 points for the Challenge (even though this was not much of a Challenge in the end, very quickly done). So Sir Snowlord, will you accept these as an exchange for a treasure?



____________________________

Why yes, Teemu, these will do quite well. Gee, I really enjoy seeing these old Warhammer models getting the attention they deserve. It makes me nostalgic for the days when your regiments were nothing but delivery systems for your pimped-out commanders - 'HeroHammer' indeed. You're right Teemu, you don't often see Dwarfs with bows these days, which is further testimony to their honoured vintage. I like that you made them vibrant red - you won't misplace those, even when you're blind drunk! I also really like the horned helmet on their axe-wielding cousin. He obviously has a lot to say and the will to say it!

As to your prize I'm delighted to award you with Martin's excellent Sunorodo, the wandering samurai lord.


Great work and thanks for taking the Snow Lord's Challenge, Teemu!

-Curt

8 comments:

  1. Lovely dwarves and great basing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Curt, and Martin!
    Now I just need to get off from this mountain and visit couple of places before leaving the island!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking old school dwarves!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice old school dwarves! Congrats on finishing your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great old skool Dwarfs mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Square bases, now you're talking ;-). Very nice trio, I actually quite like the look of the contrast paints.

    ReplyDelete