Wednesday 18 March 2020

From MattK: He did what now? Sisters of Battle and Something for Necromunda for Snowlords Peak (415 Points)

Well, here we are at long last. The challenge given to me by the Snow lord was "Well, I see that you've become enthused with both Necromunda and the new Sisters of Battle releases, so how about something that includes one of these?" In my infinite wisdom, with the end of the challenge approaching and the everlooming threat of "show season" I decided it was in my best interest to take on the challenge head on and agree to do both!


First up some of the amazing new plastic Seraphim from the Sisters of Battle box set. I'm not at all a fan of the clear plastic stands that came with the kit so I picked up some of these awesome 3d printable smoke bases from Deadly Print Studios. The file was reasonably priced and easy to print with the whole batch of five printing up in a bout 2 hours.




Now for the Necromunda half of the challenge. When Mr. Lord presented me with the challenge he proposed it as "something for Necromunda, another gang or a terrain piece"

I was going to paint up my Escher gang, but I wasn't happy with the test figure. I built my Corpse Grinder Cults but wanted to take my time painting them. With all this in mind I decided a terrain piece was the way to go. Not one to half-ass a project though, I went with not just a terrain piece but a whole tables worth.


First of all here is all the terrain in a nice neat pile. The terrain I went with was the excellent Death Ray Designs Armageddon Table Bundle set I impulse bought myself a little while ago. This project is the main reason I haven't posted much in the last couple weeks. A week or so of assembly, a few days of priming, a few hours here and there of weathering and detailing.




The paint jobs are pretty simple and there will be a bit of a tutorial on how I did them as well as an in depth review of the terrain coming to my Blog soonish but, spoiler alert, I absolutely love this stuff. In particular though, this bundle was reasonably priced and covers a 4 x 4 foot table pretty well as you'll see later in the post.



Figuring out the points however is proving to be quite difficult. As a result here are the points I've come up with, feel free to modify accordingly.



The set comes with 4 of these large hex platforms that measure in at approximately 10x 9 x 4 inches. which comes in at 360 cubic inches. A terrain cube is 216 inches. For simplicity sake, i've rounded down to 1.5 cubes worth each making the 4 of them worth 120 points.



There are also 2 small hex platforms that measure 7 x 6 x 4 the 2 of which total out to 336 cubic inches so call that another cube and a half for 30 points.

Next up there are all the bridges that come in the kit. There is a whole pile of these which fills a 10 x 6 x 4 in cube. Well call this one more cube for an additional 20 points.



The kit comes with 4 shipping containers as well as 20 barricades. The 4 crates fill a 5 x 5 x 5 inch cube so between the crates and barricades I figure thats another cube for 20 points.



The main focal point of the kit in my opinion are these refinery towers, of which there are 4. These towers are 13 x 7 x 6 which is approximately 2 cubes. 160 points in total



Finally the kit comes with a bunch of ladders and a staircase, but with the points from everything else it seems unfair to even count these as the only fill a 6 x 6 x 1 inch cube.



So here we are at the end of it all. The set fills out a nice 4 x 4 table and I am beyond excited to finally play necromunda on it later this month.






So, points as follows
5 x 28mm Sisters at 25 points
4 x big hex platforms at 120 points
2 x small hex platform at 30 points
Bridges for 20 points
Crates, barricades, ladders for 20 points
4 x Refinery towers for 160 points

All for a grand total today of 375 points. Completing my Snowlords challenge as well as reaching my goal of 1000 points just in the nick of time.


______________________________________

Wow, another Snow Lord's Peak points bomb - fantastic stuff Matt!

Your Seraphim are terrific and I especially like those 3D flight bases you've mounted them on. I'm not a big fan of the clear flight stands as well and did something similar with tree armatures with mine many years ago. I find it's little details like this that really make an army uniquely 'yours'. Wonderful.

But I must say the star of the submission has to be this stonking table-groaning schwack of terrain, wow! I can see why you've been off the radar for a few weeks - this is an amazing amount of work. I really like the modular nature of the entire setup, especially the hexagonal platforms paired with those impressive towers. Brilliant work, Matt.

As too points, your math looks good, but you forgot the 30 point Challenge bonus and, in addition, I'm giving you another 10 for the bespoke Seraphim bases and overall effort. Congratulations on bashing through your point's target in style!

For your reward I'm happy to give you Sebastian's excellent Sci-Fi WRNS (I think she'll make a great upper-hive Necromunda character).


Again, brilliant work on the Seraphim and the terrain, Matt, and a great response to the SLP Challenge.

-Curt

7 comments:

  1. That looks great! Happy gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole lot of terrain there Matt - lovely stuff. Also, great work on the Sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Sisters and fantastic terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an epic tables worth of terrain and great looking sisters! Congrats on meeting the SL challenge so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some truly inspiring work, I immediately checked out Deadly Print Studios... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any time. im really happy with their stuff so far.

      Delete