Wednesday 18 March 2020

From PeteF: More Gribbley Horror - Kings of War Reapers (45 points)



I started playing Kings of War around a year ago. It's a ranks and flanks fantasy mass battle game with a solid community and evolving rules system that keeps the game fresh and updated. I bought a second hand army from EBay and slowly rehabilitated it. I entered a local tournament - one of the nice things about this was that the swag was randomly distributed so that, even though I was destroyed on the tables, I got lucky in the prize draw and won a Nightstalkers army.



Challenge X has been an excellent opportunity to get started on the Nightstalkers - with each unit containing a clue to a horror movie. So far I've entered spectres (Silence of the Lambs), Butchers (The Shining), Fiends (Starship Troopers), A Dream Hunter (Hellraiser) and a Legion of Scarecrows (The Ring). You'll probably recognize the evil character nestled in this group of Reapers - I think back in the day he caused a lot of real nightmares.



The Reapers are an extremely hard hitting glass cannon unit. They are best used as a back up killing machine that will charge any unit that successfully routs something in your front line (there's a lot of this sort of maneuvering in Kings of War). I only have enough reapers for a troop (official model count of 10) - although I can see myself getting more so that I can deploy regiments of these nasties.



I used contrast paints to lay down the basic colour scheme - with a bit of extra dry brushing and layering afterwards.  I used Citadel's "Blood for The Blood God" technical paint to spread some blood around the holes in their stomachs, claws and teeth (if you look carefully you can see their spines at the back of the stomach holes. Which isn't nice.) I think the result is fine for wargaming - I'm still learning to use the contrast paints and find the main drawback is that the residue that gathers in recesses can get a little shiny if too much paint is slopped on.



9 foot figures for 45 points. Welcome to Prime Time!







Well, those are certainly gribbly and horrific. Nicely done Pete!

TamsinP




5 comments:

  1. Great looking unit of nasties!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying these horror movie themed units of yours, Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, these will look very impressive as an army.

    ReplyDelete